Re: [LincolnTalk] Non-chemical management of Japanese Beetles?

Re: [LincolnTalk] Non-chemical management of Japanese Beetles?

Louise Bergeron

Japanese Beetles used to be a serious problems for our corps, particularly small fruits such as rawsberries, but they also devoured our vegetables.  Traps made it worse since they attracted more Japanese beetles.   Chickens love the Japanese beetle larvea; they eat the grubs buried in the dirt.  You could let a few of you hens lose in the infected areas in the fall and again next year in the spring, they are likely prevent future infestations. Chickens do not eat adult beetles, so unfortunately it will not help this year.  I kill adult beetles by hand.  We now use our hens consistently to keep Japanese beetles under control.

Louise Bergeron