[LincolnTalk] water in lincoln

garrick niemiec
Stop the school project NOW. We have a serious water system failure!!!

Re: [LincolnTalk] water in lincoln

Tamika Mayes
Can someone please explain if my water filter will work? This is slightly concerning to me.

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019, 7:22 PM garrick niemiec <[hidden email]> wrote:
Stop the school project NOW. We have a serious water system failure!!!

Re: [LincolnTalk] water in lincoln

Ruth Ann Hendrickson
The fact that we have exceeded the standard for TTHMs at one sampling point is NOT a serious water system failure,  but it is an indicator that we need to make some changes in the way our system operates. Comparing recent data on organic content with data taken when the plant was designed, we find we have almost twice as much organic content in the pond water. This change may be due to the very high water in Flint’s Pond last year or possibly because climate change has given us an extra month of warm weather each year. Whatever the cause, we are working with the DEP (Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection) and our engineering consultants to come up with the best way to address this problem. The organics in the water will drop now that the weather has turned cooler. By next summer we should have a good plan in place to address the problem.

While decades of exposure to TTHMs may cause health issues, short term exposure is not usually a cause for concern. For more information, including the use of water filters, refer to the website:  https://www.mass.gov/service-details/tthm-in-drinking-water-information-for-consumers

The fact that the water department needs to spend some money to address this problem has nothing to do with the school project. The Water Department is an independent enterprise system which is completely self supporting from customer revenue.

Ruth Ann Hendrickson
Chairman, Lincoln Water Commissioners

> On Oct 9, 2019, at 7:22 PM, garrick niemiec <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Stop the school project NOW. We have a serious water system failure!!!

Re: [LincolnTalk] water in lincoln-filters

Ruth Ann Hendrickson
Please go to the website below which gives advise on choosing an appropriate water filter should you wish to use one:

https://www.lincolntown.org/DocumentCenter/View/50781/Public-Notice-Important-Information-About-Your-Drinking-Water

On Oct 9, 2019, at 7:27 PM, Tamika Mayes <[hidden email]> wrote:

Can someone please explain if my water filter will work? This is slightly concerning to me.

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019, 7:22 PM garrick niemiec <[hidden email]> wrote:
Stop the school project NOW. We have a serious water system failure!!!

Re: [LincolnTalk] water in lincoln

CathyO
So.
If there is an issue with TTHM from Flints Pond
I have a few questions..

1. Has the town been utilizing the  well water capability since the test has discovered we are above the standard TTHM?

2. I would be curious to see where our level of TTHM has been in the past? I don’t recall being notified of this in the past.

I am not a chemist..
I am not a scientist
I would love to understand in laymen’s terms what is really happening..

Cathy O’Brien

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 8:37 PM RAandBOB <[hidden email]> wrote:
The fact that we have exceeded the standard for TTHMs at one sampling point is NOT a serious water system failure,  but it is an indicator that we need to make some changes in the way our system operates. Comparing recent data on organic content with data taken when the plant was designed, we find we have almost twice as much organic content in the pond water. This change may be due to the very high water in Flint’s Pond last year or possibly because climate change has given us an extra month of warm weather each year. Whatever the cause, we are working with the DEP (Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection) and our engineering consultants to come up with the best way to address this problem. The organics in the water will drop now that the weather has turned cooler. By next summer we should have a good plan in place to address the problem.

While decades of exposure to TTHMs may cause health issues, short term exposure is not usually a cause for concern. For more information, including the use of water filters, refer to the website:  https://www.mass.gov/service-details/tthm-in-drinking-water-information-for-consumers

The fact that the water department needs to spend some money to address this problem has nothing to do with the school project. The Water Department is an independent enterprise system which is completely self supporting from customer revenue.

Ruth Ann Hendrickson
Chairman, Lincoln Water Commissioners

> On Oct 9, 2019, at 7:22 PM, garrick niemiec <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Stop the school project NOW. We have a serious water system failure!!!

Re: [LincolnTalk] water in lincoln

garrick niemiec
I suggest a second and third opinion. This has been happening for some time as I recall

.

Re: [LincolnTalk] water in lincoln

Ruth Ann Hendrickson
We have been running close to the limit on TTHM‘s in the summers for sometime. We have been working closely with our very experienced consultants to look at both short and long term solutions to the problem. We have been successfully managing the situation by injecting more well water into the system. This summer however, the organic content in the water was exceptionally high, and therefore, in spite of our best efforts, we went over the limit.

Unfortunately, in one of those events that life throws at you, just when we needed the well the most we had a valve failure at the well which released a chemical, KOH, which is one of the chemicals we used to treat the water. We had to shut down the well while we were dealing with the spill. A project to completely revamp the chemical feed systems at the well has been in process for some time but has not yet been put out to bid. In the meantime we are fixing the immediate problems and making some upgrades that will ensure we have no further chemical releases. The latest sampling reports show that the well is ready to be brought back online, and we are asking permission from the DEP to return the well to service on October 21.

With the lower temperatures of fall that will reduce the organic content of the pond water and the  return of the well to service, we feel confident that we can manage the TTHM content successfully for the short term while we work with our consultant to develop a long-term plan.

Ruth Ann Hendrickson
Chairman, Lincoln Water Commissioners

> On Oct 9, 2019, at 11:25 PM, garrick niemiec <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I suggest a second and third opinion. This has been happening for some time as I recall

This was more what I was looking for...thank you I do need a water filter. This could have bad long term issues.

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 9:10 AM RAandBOB <[hidden email]> wrote:
We have been running close to the limit on TTHM‘s in the summers for sometime. We have been working closely with our very experienced consultants to look at both short and long term solutions to the problem. We have been successfully managing the situation by injecting more well water into the system. This summer however, the organic content in the water was exceptionally high, and therefore, in spite of our best efforts, we went over the limit.

Unfortunately, in one of those events that life throws at you, just when we needed the well the most we had a valve failure at the well which released a chemical, KOH, which is one of the chemicals we used to treat the water. We had to shut down the well while we were dealing with the spill. A project to completely revamp the chemical feed systems at the well has been in process for some time but has not yet been put out to bid. In the meantime we are fixing the immediate problems and making some upgrades that will ensure we have no further chemical releases. The latest sampling reports show that the well is ready to be brought back online, and we are asking permission from the DEP to return the well to service on October 21.

With the lower temperatures of fall that will reduce the organic content of the pond water and the  return of the well to service, we feel confident that we can manage the TTHM content successfully for the short term while we work with our consultant to develop a long-term plan.

Ruth Ann Hendrickson
Chairman, Lincoln Water Commissioners

> On Oct 9, 2019, at 11:25 PM, garrick niemiec <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I suggest a second and third opinion. This has been happening for some time as I recall

Who pays for the short and long term fix and what is the cost range

.

Re: [LincolnTalk] water in lincoln

Ruth Ann Hendrickson
TTHMs form when the chlorine we used to disinfect the water mixes with the organics in the pond water, and yet we must keep a certain level of chlorine in the water in the pipes to be sure it is disinfected. The water department is required by law to test regularly for TTHMs and many other potential contaminants; if we exceed the standards, we must notify you, as we just did. The annual Consumer Confidence Reports are available on line through the town’s website under Water Department->Water Quality.

On Oct 9, 2019, at 9:08 PM, Cathy O'Brien <[hidden email]> wrote:

So.
If there is an issue with TTHM from Flints Pond
I have a few questions..

1. Has the town been utilizing the  well water capability since the test has discovered we are above the standard TTHM?

2. I would be curious to see where our level of TTHM has been in the past? I don’t recall being notified of this in the past.

I am not a chemist..
I am not a scientist
I would love to understand in laymen’s terms what is really happening..

Cathy O’Brien

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 8:37 PM RAandBOB <[hidden email]> wrote:
The fact that we have exceeded the standard for TTHMs at one sampling point is NOT a serious water system failure,  but it is an indicator that we need to make some changes in the way our system operates. Comparing recent data on organic content with data taken when the plant was designed, we find we have almost twice as much organic content in the pond water. This change may be due to the very high water in Flint’s Pond last year or possibly because climate change has given us an extra month of warm weather each year. Whatever the cause, we are working with the DEP (Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection) and our engineering consultants to come up with the best way to address this problem. The organics in the water will drop now that the weather has turned cooler. By next summer we should have a good plan in place to address the problem.

While decades of exposure to TTHMs may cause health issues, short term exposure is not usually a cause for concern. For more information, including the use of water filters, refer to the website:  https://www.mass.gov/service-details/tthm-in-drinking-water-information-for-consumers

The fact that the water department needs to spend some money to address this problem has nothing to do with the school project. The Water Department is an independent enterprise system which is completely self supporting from customer revenue.

Ruth Ann Hendrickson
Chairman, Lincoln Water Commissioners

> On Oct 9, 2019, at 7:22 PM, garrick niemiec <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Stop the school project NOW. We have a serious water system failure!!!

Re: [LincolnTalk] water in lincoln

Ruth Ann Hendrickson
The cost estimates are currently in the works. All water department projects are paid for by the revenue we collect from our customers.

Ruth Ann

> On Oct 10, 2019, at 9:25 AM, garrick niemiec <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Who pays for the short and long term fix and what is the cost range

Is it possible this work will require a re tax increase?

.