[LincolnTalk] ice skating suggestions?

Cathie B
Hi list - We'd like to teach our kids to skate this winter.  Are there any good indoor rinks nearby with public skating hours? Or ponds in town where people skate?

Also, does anyone have suggestions for a local place to buy skates?  (I'd love to buy used ones at least for the kids, if possible).

thank you, and happy new year!
Cathie

Re: [LincolnTalk] ice skating suggestions?

Dennis Liu
FWIW, a lot of folks skate on the Cemetery Pond, in Lincoln Cemetery, off Lexington Rd.  I also saw a few kids skating on the small Pierce House pond (the First Day party was this afternoon, and runs until 4 pm I believe, so folks can still squeeze a visit it -- lots of soups and food from Tastings Caterer, a chocolate fountain for the kids, decorate-your-own-cookies station, live music, and much more).

HTH,

--Dennis

Re: [LincolnTalk] ice skating suggestions?

Roy Harvey

Hi Cathie and fellow Talkers,

For rinks, I think the best nearby (everything is relative) is Olympia in Boxboro, http://skatenashoba.com/ .  They have 3 rinks and a lot of pros train there. Another great thing is they’re open year-round. There’s nothing like skating in July!  On a light-usage day, you can bring your own MP3 player and listen to your favorite music.

DCR has the Veterans Rink in Waltham, Daly Rink in Brighton (on the river, near Watertown Square), and a lot more, http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dcr/massparks/recreational-activities/ice-skating.html .

All the above have public skating hours.

For ponds, the Cemetery is great during Winterfest (Jan or Feb?), when they light a bonfire on the ice to help you warm up.

Walden is much bigger, so a lot more fun, but you have to wait longer for it to freeze. It’s big enough that you can often get a good wind, so bring a sail or a big jacket you can open out to catch it. If the park rangers don’t want to tell you on the phone what the skating conditions are (they usually don’t, in my experience, apparently for liability reasons), ask if it’s OK for ice fishing (and the houses that fisherpeople use).

Ponds often require shoveling, so are a good way to build community spirit. Due to its size, Walden often has some parts that are blown free of snow (as well as parts that have really wavy, unskateable ice).

For used or new skates, I’d start at Zwickers in Bedford, http://zwickers.com/  They take trade-ins, so you can trade up as your kids grow.  They also sharpen skates, including speed skates.

Olympia also has a skate store, but not as humongous as Zwickers.

The undersigned assumes no liability for any of these recommendations.

Have fun!

Roy

FWIW, a lot of folks skate on the Cemetery Pond, in Lincoln Cemetery, off Lexington Rd.  I also saw a few kids skating on the small Pierce House pond (the First Day party was this afternoon, and runs until 4 pm I believe, so folks can still squeeze a visit it -- lots of soups and food from Tastings Caterer, a chocolate fountain for the kids, decorate-your-own-cookies station, live music, and much more).

HTH,

--Dennis

Re: [LincolnTalk] ice skating suggestions?

Stacey Mulroy
Parks & Recreation is offering skating lessons through Bay State in Waltham on Totten Pond Road. Lessons for adults and children. More information can be found in our brochure. Download it at www.lincolnrec.com.

Thanks & Happy New Year!
Stacey

Sent from my iPhone