[LincolnTalk] help re: smoky air coming in heating vent

[LincolnTalk] help re: smoky air coming in heating vent

Karen Seo-2
Looking for recommendations on services/people to address the following
problem.... On Wednesday night, air from one of the upstairs heating
vents smelled of smoke, quickly filling the room with smoky air.  There
was no visible smoke and none of the air from other vents upstairs was
smoky   I turned off the upstairs zone. The downstairs has a separate
zone which is working fine,  keeping the overall house reasonably warm.

Thank you,
Karen

Re: [LincolnTalk] help re: smoky air coming in heating vent

wayne vetrone
Did you mean Tuesday night?  Did you call the fire department?    I guess at this point it is safe to say it wasn't a fire.  I would not turn the zone on with an HVAC person there.

That said, I would still be leery of what is going on in your attic.  Have you physically gone into your attic to see if there were any charred wood or burnt wires?

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 10:35 AM Karen Seo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Looking for recommendations on services/people to address the following
problem.... On Wednesday night, air from one of the upstairs heating
vents smelled of smoke, quickly filling the room with smoky air.  There
was no visible smoke and none of the air from other vents upstairs was
smoky   I turned off the upstairs zone. The downstairs has a separate
zone which is working fine,  keeping the overall house reasonably warm.

Thank you,
Karen

Re: [LincolnTalk] help re: smoky air coming in heating vent

Karen Seo-2
Wayne et al.,

Thank you for the quick replies. Yes, the smoky air was last Wed
(11/20).  I had mistakenly sent a couple of messages to the wrong
LincolnTalk mailing address and  was waiting for replies.  I didn't get
it to the right address until 11/26.  As suggested, I called the fire
department and 2 firemen came over and checked out the vent and went
into the attic to look at the ducts, air handler, etc..  When I turned
on the system, no smoky smell occurred and they found no evidence of any
charred/burned material.  The fireman ran the system for about 15-20
minutes and verified that plenty of hot air was coming out of the vent
in question.  As some of you have hypothesized, they too thought it
likely that the attic air handler, maybe a fan inside of it, is the
source of the smoky smell.  However, it did not produce any smoke while
they were here.  Except for when the firemen were here, I've kept the
upstairs zone turned off.  Only one HVAC service was recommended to me
and they were closed when I called (no doubt due to the holidays). So I
plan to call them on Monday.

Thanks again,
Karen