[LincolnTalk] gravel driveway recommendation

[LincolnTalk] gravel driveway recommendation

Gwyn Loud
My neighbor and I share a driveway and we need to redo it. Please contact me if you have had luck with a company putting in a gravelĀ  driveway (i.e. the natural look, not paved) on a SLOPE in a way which withstands erosion from heavy rain.
Thanks,
Gwyn Loud
-8690

Re: [LincolnTalk] gravel driveway recommendation

aspang

Hi, Gwyn,

I can't offer you a recommendation for a supplier or contractor for this, but I can offer a caveat based on prior experience.  In the industry, "gravel" is actually a mix of dirt (sand and clay, not loam) and rocks of various sizes, some as big as your fist, others small stones.  If you put it on a slope, the dirt component will erode and look awful and the various sizes of rocks make for a bumpy and unsightly surface.

I learned the hard way that what we lay people tend to call "gravel" is actually called "crushed stone" in the industry.  It comes in various sizes and you can specify what diameter crushed stone you want, half-inch, 3/4-inch, 1-inch, 2-3 inches, "pea stone" (very small), etc.  It is ground up and then screened to the desired diameter.  For the most natural look, there is "river stone," also available in different sizes; it has varied color and is smoother and rounder than crushed stone, but much more expensive.

I'm not sure exactly what "look" you seek, so my advice is simply not to assume that the other person knows what you visualize as "gravel" and that you see the product before buying and taking delivery, so that you get what you want.

Good luck,

Andrew Pang

On September 11, 2019 at 11:45 AM Gwyn Loud <[hidden email]> wrote:

My neighbor and I share a driveway and we need to redo it. Please contact me if you have had luck with a company putting in a gravel  driveway (i.e. the natural look, not paved) on a SLOPE in a way which withstands erosion from heavy rain.
Thanks,
Gwyn Loud
-8690