[LincolnTalk] coffee grounds

Claire Mount
is it good for soil to add  coffee grounds

Re: [LincolnTalk] coffee grounds

Robin Wilkerson
Best to add it to compost but a moderate amount can be added around plants. Provides nitrogen and has a slightly acidifying affect to the soil. I discovered a few years ago one can over do it in the garden. I added from a coffee shop 15 gallons of grounds a week  to my compost for almost a year. I definitely over caffeinated the vegetable garden. Apparently one can do that...Plants did not do well that year. Now I just use the grounds I generate at home..

> On Jun 28, 2020, at 10:15 AM, Claire Mount <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> is it good for soil to add  coffee grounds

Robin Wilkerson
31 Old Winter St.
Lincoln, MA 01773
781 259 1110

Re: [LincolnTalk] coffee grounds

samattes
If slightly acidic, does this mean it would be good under rhododendron  and azalea?

> On Jun 28, 2020, at 10:20 AM, Robin Wilkerson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Best to add it to compost but a moderate amount can be added around plants. Provides nitrogen and has a slightly acidifying affect to the soil. I discovered a few years ago one can over do it in the garden. I added from a coffee shop 15 gallons of grounds a week  to my compost for almost a year. I definitely over caffeinated the vegetable garden. Apparently one can do that...Plants did not do well that year. Now I just use the grounds I generate at home..
>
>> On Jun 28, 2020, at 10:15 AM, Claire Mount <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> is it good for soil to add  coffee grounds
>> --
>>

> Robin Wilkerson
> 31 Old Winter St.
> Lincoln, MA 01773
> 781 259 1110

Re: [LincolnTalk] coffee grounds

wayne vetrone
They are also on blueberry plants generally as Sarah mentioned they are great on anything that requires a lot of acidic soil
On Sun, Jun 28, 2020, 10:42 Sara Mattes <[hidden email]> wrote:
If slightly acidic, does this mean it would be good under rhododendron  and azalea?

> On Jun 28, 2020, at 10:20 AM, Robin Wilkerson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Best to add it to compost but a moderate amount can be added around plants. Provides nitrogen and has a slightly acidifying affect to the soil. I discovered a few years ago one can over do it in the garden. I added from a coffee shop 15 gallons of grounds a week  to my compost for almost a year. I definitely over caffeinated the vegetable garden. Apparently one can do that...Plants did not do well that year. Now I just use the grounds I generate at home..
>
>> On Jun 28, 2020, at 10:15 AM, Claire Mount <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> is it good for soil to add  coffee grounds
>> --
>>

> Robin Wilkerson
> 31 Old Winter St.
> Lincoln, MA 01773
> 781 259 1110

Re: [LincolnTalk] coffee grounds

Sasha Golden
Conversely, wood ashes can both increase soil pH and make phosphorus more available.

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 10:48 AM wayne vetrone <[hidden email]> wrote:
They are also on blueberry plants generally as Sarah mentioned they are great on anything that requires a lot of acidic soil
On Sun, Jun 28, 2020, 10:42 Sara Mattes <[hidden email]> wrote:
If slightly acidic, does this mean it would be good under rhododendron  and azalea?

> On Jun 28, 2020, at 10:20 AM, Robin Wilkerson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Best to add it to compost but a moderate amount can be added around plants. Provides nitrogen and has a slightly acidifying affect to the soil. I discovered a few years ago one can over do it in the garden. I added from a coffee shop 15 gallons of grounds a week  to my compost for almost a year. I definitely over caffeinated the vegetable garden. Apparently one can do that...Plants did not do well that year. Now I just use the grounds I generate at home..
>
>> On Jun 28, 2020, at 10:15 AM, Claire Mount <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> is it good for soil to add  coffee grounds
>> --
>>

> Robin Wilkerson
> 31 Old Winter St.
> Lincoln, MA 01773
> 781 259 1110

Sasha Golden

Re: [LincolnTalk] coffee grounds

Claire Mount
thanks to everyone.  i appreciate it.    Claire

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 12:14 PM Sasha Golden <[hidden email]> wrote:
Conversely, wood ashes can both increase soil pH and make phosphorus more available.

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 10:48 AM wayne vetrone <[hidden email]> wrote:
They are also on blueberry plants generally as Sarah mentioned they are great on anything that requires a lot of acidic soil
On Sun, Jun 28, 2020, 10:42 Sara Mattes <[hidden email]> wrote:
If slightly acidic, does this mean it would be good under rhododendron  and azalea?

> On Jun 28, 2020, at 10:20 AM, Robin Wilkerson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Best to add it to compost but a moderate amount can be added around plants. Provides nitrogen and has a slightly acidifying affect to the soil. I discovered a few years ago one can over do it in the garden. I added from a coffee shop 15 gallons of grounds a week  to my compost for almost a year. I definitely over caffeinated the vegetable garden. Apparently one can do that...Plants did not do well that year. Now I just use the grounds I generate at home..
>
>> On Jun 28, 2020, at 10:15 AM, Claire Mount <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> is it good for soil to add  coffee grounds
>> --
>>

> Robin Wilkerson
> 31 Old Winter St.
> Lincoln, MA 01773
> 781 259 1110

Sasha Golden

Re: [LincolnTalk] coffee grounds

Orest
Moderate amounts help rose bushes

Orest Hurko

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 4:30 PM Claire Mount <[hidden email]> wrote:
thanks to everyone.  i appreciate it.    Claire

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 12:14 PM Sasha Golden <[hidden email]> wrote:
Conversely, wood ashes can both increase soil pH and make phosphorus more available.

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 10:48 AM wayne vetrone <[hidden email]> wrote:
They are also on blueberry plants generally as Sarah mentioned they are great on anything that requires a lot of acidic soil
On Sun, Jun 28, 2020, 10:42 Sara Mattes <[hidden email]> wrote:
If slightly acidic, does this mean it would be good under rhododendron  and azalea?

> On Jun 28, 2020, at 10:20 AM, Robin Wilkerson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Best to add it to compost but a moderate amount can be added around plants. Provides nitrogen and has a slightly acidifying affect to the soil. I discovered a few years ago one can over do it in the garden. I added from a coffee shop 15 gallons of grounds a week  to my compost for almost a year. I definitely over caffeinated the vegetable garden. Apparently one can do that...Plants did not do well that year. Now I just use the grounds I generate at home..
>
>> On Jun 28, 2020, at 10:15 AM, Claire Mount <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> is it good for soil to add  coffee grounds
>> --
>>

> Robin Wilkerson
> 31 Old Winter St.
> Lincoln, MA 01773