[LincolnTalk] a message

Ellen Raja
To those who are 'outraged' ;  at Town Meeting how did you vote?
We were all forewarned .  Did you not hear the cry?
Kiss your neighbor goodbye.

Ellen

Re: [LincolnTalk] a message

Dennis Liu
Ellen -- there were plenty of people who did not want the new school
building to cost $90mm+, and voted against it.  There were also plenty of
people who were very uncomfortable at the then-proposed amount of tax
increase, but decided that the new school building was needed and voted in
favor of it.  (And there were no doubt those who were strongly in favor of
the new building and did not think that the increase in taxes would be that
important.)

One of my key points is that we were *not* forewarned that Lincoln might
well take up the Residential Exemption option.  We were presented with a
very expensive school building project, and told that your taxes will likely
go up by $X.

And now, a year later, there are some in town who seem to be advocating for
40% of the town to pay not only the forewarned $X in increased taxes, but $X
+ $Y in increased taxes (so the 60% can pay less).

There was no forewarning about that, as far as I am aware -- from either the
pro-school-building or anti-school-building side.  For me, at least, that is
the tip of my outrage spear.

To your comment, "Kiss your neighbor goodbye", sadly, we are among that
group.

Vty,

--Dennis

Re: [LincolnTalk] a message

Richard Panetta
Dennis,

 I believe this to be true. The committee was not formed until after the vote was taken place and people had expressed their concern over the increase. It was asked what else could be done to help lower the cost to some.

It seems we passed the building funding before we could figure out how to lessen the burden on others.