[LincolnTalk] Why Bump You?

Lincoln mailing list
Hi Sharon,
I’ve been thinking about your post below. Do you know what’s ironic to me?  I well remember that the School Committee had concerns about this issue. Specifically, I was told that they were concerned that if Lincoln pulled out of the District, the state would interpret that as “Lincoln doesn’t care about education”, and therefore jeopardize our chances of MSBA funding.
So, I find myself in a bit of a quandary here. Either I must assume that the committee was truly concerned with “bias” as they told you - although I have never seen such concern ever in town, to be direct. Or, I must assume that there was some type of motivation  to pull out of the district and take the known and communicated risk of upsetting the MSBA. As for why that would be he case, hmmm.

Vin

Sent from my iPhone, so please excuse any spelling, or syntax errors.

Begin forwarded message:

From: sharon antia <[hidden email]>
Date: December 5, 2018 at 5:30:39 PM EST
To: Vincent Cannistraro <[hidden email]>
Cc: Lincoln Talk <[hidden email]>, Louis Zipes <[hidden email]>, Michael <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [LincolnTalk] Why does Lincoln persist with the TM format?

Whoever picked the members of the say goodby to MMHS subcommittee would not let Lincoln’s one MMSC member (me) on the subcommittee as I had already said I think we should stay in the district and therefore I could not be impartial. This, honest to goodness, was said to me by the person who spearheaded the effort to pull out.

To Vin’s point, there may be a way other than the Lincoln Way.

-ska
On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 5:16 PM Vincent Cannistraro via Lincoln <[hidden email]> wrote:
Interesting! That could well work.  I actually had another concept:

Right now, many committees are ultimately appointed by one person. One option might be to have a committee of three people select folks and be held to a “diversity standard”. We have no such standard for Lincoln.
If I assembled all committees, there would likely be a risk that most  everyone would be a Saint Joe’s parishioner, or LYS member, so I’m no different.

Here’s another example:  at one pint I inquired about serving on FinCom. I was told that they “were al financial types” and that “longevity was sought on the committee”. What that told me was that they valued lack of diversity and wanted to keep newcomers as few in number as possible. What if I had a friend there? Would I have been told something different?  No judgement, just pointing to something I struggle to understand.

Vin

Sent from my iPhone, so please excuse any spelling, or syntax errors.

On Dec 5, 2018, at 5:02 PM, Louis Zipes <[hidden email]> wrote:

Are you proposing something like this, Vin?

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 4:49 PM Vincent Cannistraro via Lincoln <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think the rub lies in the following:

Fundamentally, there is a difference between “outreach” and “inclusion”.  Please take it from one who has been there.  When one volunteers, their experience is directly affected by those they see at the table.  It is only natural.

No offense please, and I’ve said it before.  But inviting people to come witness how much everyone has in common as they speak from a very narrow perspective is not enticing to a significant portion of the population.

Doesn’t mean the volunteers are bad! They are hard working and generous with their time.  It just means, maybe, we would benefit from deliberately seeking out a wider chorus from the beginning.

Vin

Vincent Cannistraro

On Dec 5, 2018, at 4:23 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

Seconding what both Sarah and Andy have stated ---

Your comments negate the lengthy open process by which the SBC guided this
process seeking the input of every Lincoln resident. The process was open
and participatory and all citizens of the community were welcome to offer
expertise, input and critique. The purpose of Saturday’s ‘Special Town
Meeting’ was to approve – or not – the Schematic Design and Costing of
Scheme L3 – one of several schemes discussed and voted on in June’s Town
Meeting.

The SBC guided and presented this project on the community’s behalf – and I
find it hard-pressed to believe (or to think this is still a subject of
discussion) that anyone’s inclination to speak or to vote ‘no’ (including
your own) was hindered by any meeting format or presentation. It would be
more helpful – and healthy – for commentary to shift towards helping this
community realize a successful school building that everyone is proud of
while also working on other issues confronting the town – mitigating
property tax increases where warranted, seeking to maintain what ‘diversity’
exists in town and responsibly allowing for additional commercial
development

-Michael Dembowski

--
Sent from: http://lincoln.2330058.n4.nabble.com/