[LincolnTalk] Waltham in Lincoln

Louis Zipes
Hi all,
Just curious.  I was looking through Redfin, as I'm want to do when dreaming of bigger digs, and I noticed a listing for 4 Old Conant Road came up under Lincoln. The listing seemed to imply although the land is technically in Waltham and kids are sent to Waltham schools, that the roads are plowed by Lincoln and the mailing address is also Lincoln and only accessible through Lincoln or Weston.  I certainly know that we have a little piece of Cambridge here with the reservoir but are there any other quirks like that?  Also, does Waltham pay us to plow their road or is it some sort of a mutual aid situation.  Who patrols that area?

Any Lincoln enclaves in other towns that have similar arrangements?  No jokes about Lincoln enclaves in Killington or the Vineyard.    : )

Thanks, Louis

Re: [LincolnTalk] Waltham in Lincoln

Andrew Payne

The listing seemed to imply although the land is technically in Waltham and kids are sent to Waltham schools, that the roads are plowed by Lincoln and the mailing address is also Lincoln and only accessible through Lincoln or Weston.

Towns plow & patrol their own roads, and the Lincoln post office delivers to Lincoln addresses.  If the parcel straddles the town border, you will have two property tax bills, one each for the lot portion contained in the respective town.

My understanding:  residency (and therefore, where your kids would go to school) is determined by which town the house structure is in.  And I've heard (legend?) at least one case where a town border split the house, and residency was determined by which town the bedrooms were in!

-andy

I certainly know that we have a little piece of Cambridge here with the reservoir but are there any other quirks like that?  Also, does Waltham pay us to plow their road or is it some sort of a mutual aid situation.  Who patrols that area?

Any Lincoln enclaves in other towns that have similar arrangements?  No jokes about Lincoln enclaves in Killington or the Vineyard.    : )

Thanks, Louis

Re: [LincolnTalk] Waltham in Lincoln

Dennis Liu

Louis, this has always fascinated me too.  I too have wondered, aside from Lincoln being an enclave itself -- Western-west Cambridge -- what little bits of town are located in other towns (like a portion of Wayland in Natick), and vice versa?

You’re right in that a small section of Old Conant Rd, and Old Conant Circle off of it (a/k/a “Lincoln Cir”), are located in Waltham.  That stub section used to be called Old County Road because, well, it used to connect to the current Old County Road, down to Rt. 2.  But a few years back, as most of us probably know, Lincoln and Waltham renamed that small portion of the road to prevent folks who, looking at maps, thought that they could drive from the Valley Pond area of Conant Road all the way to Rt. 2 on Old County Rd, only to have to turn around when they encountered the section of that road that had been converted into a walking path.

Thus, we are left with that part of Old Conant Rd being in Waltham, and accessible from Waltham by car/snowplow only by driving a loop through Lincoln (or through Weston and Lincoln).  The same too for the “Lincoln Woods” development, on the Northern side of that now-a-walking-path-part of Old County (Old Conant) Rd.  Have always been tickled by the fact that the developer named it Lincoln Woods, since it’s in that small peninsula of Waltham.

Perhaps Waltham has some agreement with Lincoln to have those two little areas plowed?  While it’s easy enough to reach Lincoln Woods from Waltham, via Winter Street and return via Trapelo Road, it’s gotta be a PITA for Waltham services to reach Old Conant Rd.

Vty,

--Dennis