[LincolnTalk] Trying to identify what made this strange nest??

[LincolnTalk] Trying to identify what made this strange nest??

Jennifer Koenig
Not sure if this is a bird or other animal.

image1.jpeg (967K) Download Attachment
image0.jpeg (975K) Download Attachment

Re: [LincolnTalk] Trying to identify what made this strange nest??

samattes
Squirrel?

Sent from my iPad

> On Jul 26, 2020, at 8:25 AM, Jennifer Koenig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Not sure if this is a bird or other animal.
>
> <image1.jpeg>
>

> <image0.jpeg>
>

> Sent from my iPhone--
> The LincolnTalk mailing list.
> To post, send mail to [hidden email].
> Search the archives at http://lincoln.2330058.n4.nabble.com/.
> Browse the archives at https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/private/lincoln/.

Re: [LincolnTalk] Trying to identify what made this strange nest??

John F. Carr
Is it green like the other leaves?  Reminds me of a structure I saw up
in a tree in Upstate New York that looked like a Christmas wreath.  I
figured it was a growth of the tree because an animal nest would
quickly turn brown.

On 7/26/20, Jennifer Koenig <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not sure if this is a bird or other animal.

wreath.jpg (732K) Download Attachment

Re: [LincolnTalk] Trying to identify what made this strange nest??

Ann Risso-2
Maybe a witchs' broom?

Ann

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 9:22 AM John F. Carr <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is it green like the other leaves?  Reminds me of a structure I saw up
in a tree in Upstate New York that looked like a Christmas wreath.  I
figured it was a growth of the tree because an animal nest would
quickly turn brown.

On 7/26/20, Jennifer Koenig <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not sure if this is a bird or other animal.

Re: [LincolnTalk] Trying to identify what made this strange nest??

Anne Warner
Can’t see enough detail, but some kinds of hornets make round nests like this

- Sent from iPhone. Typed by thumb. Excuse misspellings!

> On Jul 26, 2020, at 8:25 AM, Jennifer Koenig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Not sure if this is a bird or other animal.
>
> <image1.jpeg>
>

> <image0.jpeg>
>

> Sent from my iPhone--
> The LincolnTalk mailing list.
> To post, send mail to [hidden email].
> Search the archives at http://lincoln.2330058.n4.nabble.com/.
> Browse the archives at https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/private/lincoln/.

Re: [LincolnTalk] Trying to identify what made this strange nest??

Rich Rosenbaum
Can’t see enough detail, but some kinds of hornets make round nests like this

Here is a little more detail.

nestq3 111.jpg

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 9:54 PM Rich Rosenbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can’t see enough detail, but some kinds of hornets make round nests like this

Here is a little more detail.

nestq3 111.jpg

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 11:45 AM Anne Warner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can’t see enough detail, but some kinds of hornets make round nests like this

- Sent from iPhone. Typed by thumb. Excuse misspellings!

> On Jul 26, 2020, at 8:25 AM, Jennifer Koenig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Not sure if this is a bird or other animal.
>
> <image1.jpeg>
>

> <image0.jpeg>
>

> Sent from my iPhone--
> The LincolnTalk mailing list.
> To post, send mail to [hidden email].
> Search the archives at http://lincoln.2330058.n4.nabble.com/.
> Browse the archives at https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/private/lincoln/.

Re: [LincolnTalk] Trying to identify what made this strange nest??

ebradmeyer@comcast.net
This is not a nest of any kind -- it is an outgrowth of the tree. The reason
it looks so different is that it is caused by a fungus that has infected the
tree and forces it to alter its pattern. In Maine we have trees with this
fungus, which is called Witch's Broom. With time, those growths will sprout
all over the tree, and eventually it will die. Meanwhile the fungus will
spread to nearby trees, particularly at certain times of the year. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch's_broom for a first take on this
disease.

--
Sent from: http://lincoln.2330058.n4.nabble.com/