[LincolnTalk] The Lincoln Barber

steve.low

When we moved to Lincoln over 40 years ago, Lincoln had a two-chair barber shop. When Carmine D’Alleva’s son (Nick) pursued a career change, Carmine continued to operate the shop until retiring. He sold his business to Ali Aboura.

Time flies, and Ali has been serving Lincoln for 16 years now. The shop has moved from Carmine’s original location to its one-chair, smaller space next to the railroad tracks behind Lincoln Town Cleaners—2 Lewis Street. As business slowed, Ali has continued as Lincoln’s barber, but years ago he reduced his hours to one day/week: Tuesdays. The other days of the week, Ali works at a hi-end shop in Boston’s South End.

The Lincoln Barber shop was closed for many weeks due to COVID, but Ali returned to Lincoln on May 25/Memorial Day to get ahead of the backlog on the day before his regular day here. That was my first haircut in 14 weeks. Yes, Ali is taking all of the recommended precautions (wiping down the shop between customers, allowing only one customer at a time inside the shop, etc.).

A few days ago, it was time for my once-every-fifth-week haircut, and I was distressed to learn that Ali’s business has now trailed off so much, that he’s on the verge of giving up the shop—leaving Lincoln without a barber.

It should be obvious that in this age of COVID, there is enormous value in being able to get a haircut in a barber shop that offers very limited virus exposure because it has only one chair and is open only one day/week! Of course, there has always been the locational convenience, as well. The haircuts are great and the price is fair.

If you feel as I do that having a barber shop in Lincoln is important—I assume our real estate values would diminish greatly without one!—please consider patronizing The Lincoln Barber shop this coming Tuesday. Ali cuts children’s, men’s, and women’s hair. He has always worked by appointment, and you can reach the shop’s answering machine at 781-259-8614.

If anyone would like to reach Ali before Tuesday, I have his mobile number and would be happy to share it.

Ali Aboura has served Lincoln well for 16 years. We now have an opportunity to save this resource by restoring our town’s ability to support a barber.

Thanks.

Regards,

Steve Low

Re: [LincolnTalk] The Lincoln Barber

Gunnar Evermann
I agree with Steve. Having Ali in town is a tremendous resource. I have been going to his shop since I moved to Lincoln 5 years ago. Funnily enough when I used to live in Cambridge I used to go to the south end shop where he works on the other days.

I will try to go this week. I would also encourage everyone who uses his services in town to tip exceptionally well if they can.

Ali provides the service and convenience where I would happily pre-pay or buy a subscription or similar if it helped him.