[LincolnTalk] Shop Local Hygiene

12

Re: [LincolnTalk] Shop Local Hygiene

Anne Warner
Okay, so let’s not give in to fear and rumor, and let’s continue to support this important local food business. If any of us are at Donelan’s and see lack of procedures, let’s say something to management. I believe they are under a huge amount of strain just trying to stay stocked. I, for one, am profoundly grateful for their efforts. Let’s help and not complain. At an absolute minimum, cashiers should be wearing gloves. What else?

- Sent from iPhone. Typed by thumb. Excuse misspellings!

On Mar 24, 2020, at 9:25 PM, Michelle Barnes via Lincoln <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear LT,

This is Donelan’s corporate letter regarding their hygiene procedures responsive to the COVID-19 pandemic:

Furthermore, I have been there (Donelan’s in Lincoln) twice in the last ten days and saw very few people, no waiting in lines, as others have commented before me. Also, as others have noted, Jason is very responsive. If there is something you’d like them to do that you believe they are not doing, please let him or the RLF/LLCT know.

As I’ve mentioned before in this forum, supporting the mall isn’t “only“ supporting local businesses, it also directly supports conservation efforts here in Lincoln. It’s an important and integral  part of taking care of our community.

Please excuse this repetitive posting; I failed to notice the continuation of this strand as it wasn’t delivered to my inbox.

Thank you,
Michelle Barnes
South Great Road

On Mar 24, 2020, at 9:12 PM, Mary Rosenfeld via Lincoln <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think when we are in a store, and they are not following procedures, we have to speak up to the managers.   They are already overwhelmed by the large amount of stockpiling, and trying to just get replacement food and supplies in.  But the procedures do have to be in place now as well.

Verrills has laid out what they are doing here on this thread, and these are procedures the local non-procedural stores could emulate.

Plus, they should be thinking about all their own employees as well.  So lets make a point of asking  these stores for these changes - virtually, if necessary!

On Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 8:37:51 PM EDT, Claire Mount <[hidden email]> wrote:

if it is not THAT one

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 8:36 PM Claire Mount <[hidden email]> wrote:
are you sure ,sara   I would hate to say that if is that one

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 8:31 PM Sara Mattes <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think that was the store referenced at the beginning of the chain.
If that is the case…not so good.

On Mar 24, 2020, at 8:29 PM, Anne Warner <[hidden email]> wrote:

How does Donelan’s do on hygiene? Can anyone comment? I want to shop local, and I know they are responsive to community input.

- Sent from iPhone. Typed by thumb. Excuse misspellings!

On Mar 24, 2020, at 8:19 PM, Nadia J., LMHC <[hidden email]> wrote:

Near the frame shop and dunkin donuts jn concord

Sent from the virtual world...

On Mar 24, 2020, at 8:02 PM, Joanna Owen Schmergel via Lincoln <[hidden email]> wrote:

 105 Thoreau Street

https://www.karmaconcord.com

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 7:59 PM, Claire Mount <[hidden email]> wrote:

where are they   I don't know them   thanks

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 7:25 PM Scott Clary <[hidden email]> wrote:
Karma family and staff - wonderful - always seem to get it right.

Kind Regards,

Scott Clary
617-968-5769

Sent from a mobile device - please excuse typos and errors

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020, 5:38 PM Joanna Owen Schmergel via Lincoln <[hidden email]> wrote:
I love Karma! Absolutely delicious!!

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 4:56 PM, Vin Cannistraro via Lincoln <[hidden email]> wrote:

We got take out at Karma in Concord last night. The staff had masks and gloves.

Vincent
Please excuse spelling or syntax errors.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 4:48 PM -0400, "Mary Rosenfeld via Lincoln" <[hidden email]> wrote:

To Sharon and others - I wasn't naming any names..... but I have run into three food stores in our area where there is a major problem.   Verrills was not one of these.    Bedford WFds is wiping down their own carts, the check-outs are wide apart, and the store is huge enough so the distancing works out pretty well.   But Wegmans definitely is doing the best!

On Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 2:34:13 PM EDT, Leslie Turek <[hidden email]> wrote:

I was at Verrill Farm yesterday and I noticed they put tables in front of their check-out stations to keep customers more separated from the clerks. Here is the statement they sent out to customers on their mailing list:

COVID-19 Response
What Are We Doing?
It is our intention to remain open daily to continue to serve our local community. To continue to protect our employees and customers, we have taken the following actions:
  • Hours change: We will be changing our daily hours to 8AM - 6PM
  • Increased employee distancing: We have reduced the number of individuals working in all departments at one time to allow for safer distancing in the store and food prep areas.
  • Continuous Cleaning: We have dedicated staff members each day to continuously clean and sanitize high touch spaces throughout the stand during open hours and at closing.
What Are We Asking Of You?
  • Practice safe distancing: Whenever possible, keep a distance between yourself and any other customers or Verrill Farm staff members.
  • Reduce your party size: Please try to visit the stand with the smallest group possible. The less people that are visiting at once, the easier it is to maintain a safe distance apart.
  • Avoid busiest hours: Typically the stand is busiest between the hours of 10AM - 3PM. Try shopping outside of these peak windows when possible.
  • Order sandwiches online: To reduce lines (esp. at lunch), we are encouraging online orders for made to order sandwiches. Online orders are prepaid and can be scheduled for a specific pickup date & time up to 7 days in advance. Online sandwich orders can be placed HERE.
  • Practice good hygiene: Please continue to be vigilant about hand washing, etc. If you are sick, have been exposed to someone that is, or have been asked to quarantine, we would kindly ask that you avoid the stand until advised otherwise by a medical professional.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 1:58 PM sharon antia <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can anyone recommend a local shop that practices good hygiene?  I need to 're-up' on some things but the last time I shopped local (this past weekend) I was underwhelmed with the hygiene I saw.  No one had gloves or masks, employees did not appear to even attempt to keep a distance or practice any particular 'best practices', even offering to pack my own cloth bag for me.

None of this seems to me to be particularly 'safe'.

My sister told me she got some takeout food recently and I asked her how she could have confidence in the restaurant (not here, in Attleboro).  She said she ordered online, went to pick it up, only patron there, handed over her card and the clerk wore gloves and a mask, wiped her card with sanitized wipes, swiped the card, wiped it again and handed it back to her.  She was so happy she gave her a 50% tip.  The woman started to cry.
I would trust that place to taking this seriously.

Anyone have experience anywhere around here where this seemed to be a priority?
-ska

Re: [LincolnTalk] Shop Local Hygiene

Kathryn Anagnostakis
I've been to donelans Lincoln, whole foods Bedford, and Wilsons farm Lexington in the past week.  Employees are not social distancing at any of those stores.  I cannot speak to hygiene but at whole  foods I had to tell three employees I did not want them to bag my groceries while they hovered right next to me.

Re: [LincolnTalk] Shop Local Hygiene

Anne Warner
Does anyone know management at Donelan’s well enough to call them and let them know of these concerns? I want us to
be part of the solution here..

- Sent from iPhone. Typed by thumb. Excuse misspellings!

> On Mar 25, 2020, at 8:30 AM, Kathryn Anagnostakis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I've been to donelans Lincoln, whole foods Bedford, and Wilsons farm Lexington in the past week.  Employees are not social distancing at any of those stores.  I cannot speak to hygiene but at whole  foods I had to tell three employees I did not want them to bag my groceries while they hovered right next to me.

Re: [LincolnTalk] Shop Local Hygiene

Joseph Burns
I was at Donelans this morning at 730. There were no sanitizer strips to clean down carts. Luckily, I had my own. The store was not busy so I didn't face a problem until the checkout. At the checkout, workers were neither wearing plastic gloves or offering customers gloves for credit cards as they are at other local stores (Verrill farm for one).
I also had to ask the customer coming in behind me at the checkout to stand 6 feet back!

When I got home, I called Jason, Donelan's manager, and expressed my dismay. He told me that the sanitizing wipes had just run out and nobody had informed store staff but because someone else had just called it is now fully stocked. He said they would put a sign up letting customers know that if it runs out to please let a  store clerk know and it will be immediately attended to. I also mentioned lack of gloves for workers at checkout and he said that they tried wearing gloves but because of the touch screen they were unable to continue this. He has called the Board of Health and was told that as long as workers sanitize their hands in between customers it was ok. As far as the over eager customer behind me in line he said it was hard to understand that people wouldn't just follow the 6 feet guidelines. I suggested to him that a sign from management might do the trick. He seemed amenable to this.

Donelan's has been my go to store since moving here 7 years ago. I felt that Jason listened to my concerns and will, hopefully, follow through. I suggest that anyone with similar concerns make a call to him as well. We are all going through this together and I for one want to be able to continue to patronize this store!

Barbara

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 8:47 AM Anne Warner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does anyone know management at Donelan’s well enough to call them and let them know of these concerns? I want us to
be part of the solution here..

- Sent from iPhone. Typed by thumb. Excuse misspellings!

> On Mar 25, 2020, at 8:30 AM, Kathryn Anagnostakis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I've been to donelans Lincoln, whole foods Bedford, and Wilsons farm Lexington in the past week.  Employees are not social distancing at any of those stores.  I cannot speak to hygiene but at whole  foods I had to tell three employees I did not want them to bag my groceries while they hovered right next to me.

Re: [LincolnTalk] Shop Local Hygiene

I think anyone could call....

Sent from my iPad

> On Mar 25, 2020, at 8:47 AM, Anne Warner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Does anyone know management at Donelan’s well enough to call them and let them know of these concerns? I want us to
> be part of the solution here..
>
> - Sent from iPhone. Typed by thumb. Excuse misspellings!
>
>> On Mar 25, 2020, at 8:30 AM, Kathryn Anagnostakis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> I've been to donelans Lincoln, whole foods Bedford, and Wilsons farm Lexington in the past week.  Employees are not social distancing at any of those stores.  I cannot speak to hygiene but at whole  foods I had to tell three employees I did not want them to bag my groceries while they hovered right next to me.

Re: [LincolnTalk] Shop Local Hygiene

Lincoln mailing list
Here's how it works at Wegmans:  there is a red line at each checkout where you stop and unload your groceries.   The line permits you to only unload your groceries at the top of the conveyer belt.    You wait there until all has been checked through, then the cashier steps back at least 6' so you can then proceed forward with your credit card.   Then you step away and someone bags your groceries,  gloves on at all times.   The conveyer belt and counter are wiped down after each person passes.  A friend who shops there says everyone in the store seems to understand about the 6' distancing - including those behind you at the checkout.

The employees also understand and follow the 6' distancing.

So all food stores could be doing this....  some information to pass on to the places where you shop.

On Wednesday, March 25, 2020, 9:34:42 AM EDT, Sara Mattes <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think anyone could call....

Sent from my iPad

> On Mar 25, 2020, at 8:47 AM, Anne Warner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Does anyone know management at Donelan’s well enough to call them and let them know of these concerns? I want us to
> be part of the solution here..
>
> - Sent from iPhone. Typed by thumb. Excuse misspellings!
>
>> On Mar 25, 2020, at 8:30 AM, Kathryn Anagnostakis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> I've been to donelans Lincoln, whole foods Bedford, and Wilsons farm Lexington in the past week.  Employees are not social distancing at any of those stores.  I cannot speak to hygiene but at whole  foods I had to tell three employees I did not want them to bag my groceries while they hovered right next to me.

Re: [LincolnTalk] Shop Local Hygiene

Anne Warner
I just sent this description of Wegman’s process to Donelan’s via their website. I hope they up their game because I think we all truly value their presence in our community.

- Sent from iPhone. Typed by thumb. Excuse misspellings!

> On Mar 25, 2020, at 9:51 AM, Mary Rosenfeld <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> there is a red line at each checkout where you stop and unload your groceries.   The line permits you to only unload your groceries at the top of the conveyer belt.    You wait there until all has been checked through, then the cashier steps back at least 6' so you can then proceed forward with your credit card.   Then you step away and someone bags your groceries,  gloves on at all times.   The conveyer belt and counter are wiped down after each person passes.  A friend who shops there says everyone in the store seems to understand about the 6' distancing - including those behind you at the checkout.

Re: [LincolnTalk] Shop Local Hygiene

Allen Vander Meulen III
I agree with you Barbara, many of those who work at Donelan’s have worked there for years and/or are fellow Lincolnites.  I know they are very concerned about the huge risks they face: encountering scores if not hundreds of people at close range every day.  We need to take care for our neighbors just as much as they need to take care for us.

Also, I was at Whole Foods in Bedford on Monday, and they have now adopted very stringent “social distancing” measures.  I was at Debra’s in West Concord the same day and was greeted at the door by Debra herself.  She was careful to let me (and every other customer) know all they are doing, and asking us to do when in the store, to keep everyone safe.

-Allen

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 25, 2020, at 09:17, Joseph Burns <[hidden email]> wrote:

I was at Donelans this morning at 730. There were no sanitizer strips to clean down carts. Luckily, I had my own. The store was not busy so I didn't face a problem until the checkout. At the checkout, workers were neither wearing plastic gloves or offering customers gloves for credit cards as they are at other local stores (Verrill farm for one).
I also had to ask the customer coming in behind me at the checkout to stand 6 feet back!

When I got home, I called Jason, Donelan's manager, and expressed my dismay. He told me that the sanitizing wipes had just run out and nobody had informed store staff but because someone else had just called it is now fully stocked. He said they would put a sign up letting customers know that if it runs out to please let a  store clerk know and it will be immediately attended to. I also mentioned lack of gloves for workers at checkout and he said that they tried wearing gloves but because of the touch screen they were unable to continue this. He has called the Board of Health and was told that as long as workers sanitize their hands in between customers it was ok. As far as the over eager customer behind me in line he said it was hard to understand that people wouldn't just follow the 6 feet guidelines. I suggested to him that a sign from management might do the trick. He seemed amenable to this.

Donelan's has been my go to store since moving here 7 years ago. I felt that Jason listened to my concerns and will, hopefully, follow through. I suggest that anyone with similar concerns make a call to him as well. We are all going through this together and I for one want to be able to continue to patronize this store!

Barbara

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 8:47 AM Anne Warner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does anyone know management at Donelan’s well enough to call them and let them know of these concerns? I want us to
be part of the solution here..

- Sent from iPhone. Typed by thumb. Excuse misspellings!

> On Mar 25, 2020, at 8:30 AM, Kathryn Anagnostakis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I've been to donelans Lincoln, whole foods Bedford, and Wilsons farm Lexington in the past week.  Employees are not social distancing at any of those stores.  I cannot speak to hygiene but at whole  foods I had to tell three employees I did not want them to bag my groceries while they hovered right next to me.

[LincolnTalk] Follow up: Shop Local Hygiene

sharon antia
Under the guise of being part of the problem or part of the solution, I went to see Jason today at Donelan's and asked if I can be of any help.  With hat in hand I told him I had sort of thrown him under the bus yesterday and I should have come to him instead.  He looked exhausted.  I gave him a brief summary of what transpired in this thread and he said he has been in touch with the health department and is trying to do what he can (use gloves where they can, keeping sanitizer and wipes available and in use).

He also said that while they have been slammed, in the last two days (post the Guv's order) things have simmered down a lot.  They are still behind but the crowd has lessened.  I told him that as long as I am laid off, if I can help, I will.  He and I will have a meeting tomorrow.  I think he is hopeful things are stabilizing but as you may have seen, the Guv made a couple more changes for Jason today and likely more changes will be coming down the pike.

-ska

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 9:33 PM Anne Warner <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Something else to pass on to local stores - Wegmans is also only using every other check-out counter so that all the cashiers are separated from each other, and the shoppers as well.   My friend who shops there regularly thought it might even be three counters apart.

This is also being adopted by other stores in the larger area.

I think the required gloves for shoppers at Crosby's is a great idea too!