[LincolnTalk] Schools Respond to COVID increases

[LincolnTalk] Schools Respond to COVID increases

Susan Taylor

The Lincoln School Committee held a special public meeting Tuesday night to assess the need to respond to the recent uptick in reported COVID-19 infections within Lincoln’s K-4 community and to prepare for the possible anticipated increase in COVID cases statewide this winter.

Based on data and the advice of health experts, the committee decided to continue for now our current model of small in-person and remote learning cohorts with re-commitment to the safety protocols that have worked to minimize spread of the virus in schools this fall. At the same time, the committee will pursue ways to enhance safety and reassurance in light of the increasing numbers of asymptomatic cases and the anticipated winter spread in the broader community.

We thank the more than 250 parents, educators and Lincoln residents who attended virtually. A special thanks goes to Tricia McGean, our Lincoln Town Nurse, members of the Lincoln Public Health Team, the District Health and Safety Working Group, Lincoln Educators Association, school administration, and especially to Superintendent Becky McFall.  Based on the number of people who tuned into the meeting, sent statements in advance, and spoke during public comment, it is clear this is a topic of high interest for many.

Let us all recommit our families to follow strictly the guidelines for masks, hygiene, physical distance, and limiting contacts outside our immediate households. This is the best way we know to keep in-person classes possible.

from the Lincoln School Committee

Susan Taylor