[LincolnTalk] Re 5G: From Harvard: How the FCC is an agency captured by what they are suppose to regulate d to regulate

[LincolnTalk] Re 5G: From Harvard: How the FCC is an agency captured by what they are suppose to regulate d to regulate

J Palmer
I thought this might be of interest to the discussion about how wireless technology is no longer safe...

Here is an excellent piece of information documenting how the Federal Communications Commission is now totally owned by the telecom industry and no longer views the American People as its constituency as originally intended. (As, btw,  are many of the agencies in DC at this point.)  Her is the link to this important document.   https://ethics.harvard.edu/files/center-for-ethics/files/capturedagency_alster.pdf

Wireless is definitely not safe for those most vulnerable under the age of 16 as much evidence supports. There is much out there that documents this, as France has recently recognized.   France has banned wireless in schools for all  those under the age of 16, as has Belgium and I think Germany is not far behind and many other countries as well. Children are particularly vulnerable to the lethal effects of wireless in the environment.   But, then France, and the EU in general,  are governed by the precautionary principle before introducing anything into the environment.

The precautionary principle - from wikipedia:  "The precautionary principle (or precautionary approach) is a strategy for approaching issues of potential harm when extensive scientific knowledge on the matter is lacking. ... These protections should be relaxed only if further scientific findings emerge that provide sound evidence that no harm will result."    The US doesn't believe in this.  US counts death/destruction as the cost of doing business - as oil pipelines, gas pipelines development have shown. Even the recent airline deaths with Boeing 737Max.  The US decided it all depends on how many die.. perhaps some are worth letting die for bottom line profit?

I really wonder how many of those who have commented here on Lincoln talk about this actually attending the very informative conference at the Willard School in Concord on Sunday. I learned much at that meeting. As did the many who attended.  it was videotaped and is available on line.  You should watch.

We do not need 5G.  It is all about making more and more money for the telecom industry; not providing better service. We need municipal broadband.  WE need local control of access to the internet.  Just as we need municipal control/implementation of public utilities like water.

 BTW the Williard school in Concord where the conference was held was most impressive to me - when you enter the front door you are confronted immediately by the library! What a beautiful building!

Jean Palmer

--

Jean Palmer, Editor
SoundCommentary.com

PO Box 218
247 Tower Rd
Lincoln, MA  01773

“Hope is not the conviction that something will turn out well but the certainty that something is worth doing no matter how it turns out.” Vaclav Havel

If your existence gives comfort to another life, then you have given your life meaning.

"Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind."  Henry James

Re: [LincolnTalk] Re 5G: From Harvard: How the FCC is an agency captured by what they are suppose to regulate d to regulate

hopengarten

See https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1852769/ :

The precautionary principle should not be used as a basis for decision-making.

Re: [LincolnTalk] Re 5G: From Harvard: How the FCC is an agency captured by what they are suppose to regulate d to regulate

Lincoln mailing list
"rational decision making" on the part of the profit driven telecom industry is providing a massive "experiment" to make money with 5G at the expense of millions of people who, if they had a choice, would not participate in this experiment. I for one do not wish to be a subject in this huge "experiment," for that is what it is.

The FCC is supposed to represent the public's interest.  It no longer does.  So who speaks for the people against the greed of the telecoms?  No one, as most in Congress are now bribed big time primarily by corporations to speak for the industries that they now represent and ignore the interests of the people.  We need the precautionary principle not "rational decision making" that is driven by capitalist greed that is destroying all living beings on the planet.

"rational decision making" is driven by the profit and greed of the few - the majority of the people be damned. We need to take big money out of politics but of course that isn't going to happen.  We need the precautionary principle but of course that isn't going to happen either as money rules in the US.

Jean Palmer

The precautionary principle should not be used as a basis for decision-making.

Re: [LincolnTalk] Re 5G: From Harvard: How the FCC is an agency captured by what they are suppose to regulate d to regulate

samattes
We are not without representation in the halls of power.
I believe that there are those in Congress who have been working hard to represent consumer interests regarding telecom.

Sen. Markey has long been a leader here, fighting for consumer protection-net neutrality and most recently for protections from robo calls are a few of the thing he has worked on.

All is not lost.

Sara

On Jan 14, 2020, at 7:26 AM, jean palmer via Lincoln <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

You might want to check out Markey on Open Secrets.com.  He has received large sums from many in the telecom industry over the years.  Here's one year.  https://www.opensecrets.org/members-of-congress/contributors?cid=N00000270&cycle=2016&recs=100&type=I     And still we do not have net neutrality or protection from robo calls or access to local broadband or a competitive cable industry.  We just get excuses. Remember when they promised we would be able to select what channels we wanted?  Instead we get ever increasingly expensive packages of drivel.

Also Markey would not sign the PassMass nomination paper to put on the Mass ballot a proposal which aims to keep big money out of Mass elections.

Markey also played a large role in the Telecom Act of 96 passed under Clinton that didn't deal with wireless at all and allowed the ownership of the mainstream media to dwindle to only 5 yugge  corporations.  The airwaves are supposed to be "public" and yet we allow the "permit to broadcast" to be given freely away to these corporations so they can make millions while the public gets the awfulness that is the mainstream media at this point.

Tell me again what Markey has actually provided for the public interest?  You really should read the Harvard report on the FCC as a captured agency.  It's very detailed and exact.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 11:00 AM Sara Mattes <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

So, who would you commend for our support to send to DC.
That is where decisions are made.

We can critique and int and rave about the ills, but we need to elect people who advance our interests.
If all Markey’s work is fraught with flaws, as you claim, who might we turn too?

I followed your link to Markey contributions.
His largest contributor was League of Conservation Voters.
SO, that group is suspect?
LCV contributed almost 3X than the next largest contributor, a local law firm.

Markey did advance and get signage on a bill to address much of the robo call issues.
On that, he won.
He tried on Net Neutrality and lost.
Here is the history of legislative efforts by Markey and others:

The the first bill Markey introduced on 2006:

MassPass was fraught with issues and was determined inconsistent with the MA constitution…perhaps a good reason NOT to sign on:

Finally, I am not commenting on the FCC, I am simply saying we have a government made up of elected officials.
In some cases, depending on one's opinion, they represent us well, or, at least try to.
I noted one who represents us in MA and has made efforts to address some of the concerns you and others have articulated.

Who would you cite as providing a better example of legislative initiatives that we might get behind, seek as a role model, because it is those elected officials who might, just might make a change?

Sara

On Jan 14, 2020, at 11:24 AM, J Palmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

  Open secrets.org reveals that Market received a great deal of money from the telecom industry over the years. that's what we're talking about here -  the rapid installation of 5G by the telecoms (who donate millions to Congress) before the people wake up to how dangerous it is, especially for children.

Go through the list on opensecrets.org for Markey (or any elected official) and add it all up.   Markey takes in a lot of money - from whomever wants to donate to him and that of course includes the LCV.  The donations list is long. Markey likes his bribes; most in DC love them; and especially revolving door that provides bribes for life.

Markey doesn't mention overturning citizens' united which might mitigate corruption.  He doesn't talk about taking BIG MONEY out of politics.  He does not mention that corporations are not people and should not be allowed to donate to elections.  He does not even mention eliminating the dated electoral college which enabled the Trump win. Why does the US have constant, ongoing national campaigning anyway?  Political consultants and the giant media corporations are richer and richer.  Why does most of the country make it difficult to vote - fewer voting machines, difficult registration? It's all about distraction, divide and conquer,  and BIG MONEY.

"Vote Blue no matter who" and/or "Make America Great Again" etc. are all about  being part of separate herds that aren't going to save all living beings but it sure makes a lot of money for the very rich few.

I still receive many robo calls. And I am on the lists which are supposed to block them.

Net neutrality is crucial for information gathering.  We can't afford "lose" it. Why is that even up for debate? Money.

Mere legislative "efforts" from Markey aren't going to solve corruption. Elections are corrupt in most of the country; with the most money to be made by the few corporations who own the electronic voting machines.  Voting is not transparent. Exit polling is no longer viable, because it is too accurate.  And those who work with the party herds like it that way. Most of what's on the mainstream media is all smoke and mirrors. Until the crooks (especially rich ones) go to jail it will all continue.  Many newly elected idealists are rapidly overwhelmed and co-opted by the party herds.

We have to recognize and define the problems.  We also have to realize that we're all in this together.

I take heart from France - the yellow vests over the last year and now the national strike.  The people are actually are winning there it seems to me.  But they also already have real health care, decent transportation, decent housing, a respect for the public good - the commonwealth - and they're very wary of 5G.

5G will destroy the upcoming generations, rapidly.  Read the information.

The precautionary principle should not be used as a basis for decision-making.

Re: [LincolnTalk] Re 5G: From Harvard: How the FCC is an agency captured by what they are suppose to regulate d to regulate

Andrew Payne

Jean Palmer wrote:

France has banned wireless in schools for all  those under the age of 16,

Respectfully, that is not correct.

France has prohibited the "installation of fixed terminal equipment equipped with wireless internet access [..] in spaces dedicated to the reception, rest and activities of children under three years of age."  (source, Article 7(I))  Emphasis added.

France has also prohibited students from using mobile phones in the primary, junior and middle schools, in an effort to manage distractions the teaching environment.  (source)  It is not a wireless or wifi ban.

as has Belgium

That is not correct.

Ghent, a Belgian city with about 50,000 people (in a country of 11m), has banned Wifi from preschools and daycare.  The decision seems to have been made by one person (Elke Decruynaere).

and I think Germany is not far behind

I do not believe that is correct.

We do not need 5G.

While "need" is subjective, consider:  many rural parts of the country have fallen very far behind in Internet access, and it's severely limiting opportunity.  Wiring those low-density areas is very expensive, and wireless is the only practical option.  Lack of broadband in rural areas is a serious issue.

I agree that the telcom industry is pushing 5G even though it likely has limited additional value for many existing uses and applications, I don't think we can or should presume what our fellow humans do or don't "need".  I have a T1D family member where a wireless insulin pump and a wireless continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) system have changed their lives.  I hope we don't lose that.

I'm not a wireless "advocate", I'm aware the technologies have risks, and I support continued studies.  But I think the absolute worst thing we can do right now is spread misinformation.   I'm hoping those reading here will take a skeptical view, listen to multiple arguments, and form their own conclusions.

One skeptic's view,

-andy

Re: [LincolnTalk] Re 5G: From Harvard: How the FCC is an agency captured by what they are suppose to regulate d to regulate

Quite the indictment.

Well, Markey still gets the most $$s from League of Conservation Voters.
And, yes, he does not talk about all the things you mention, he is now primarily focused on the environment.
He authored (with Henry Waxman) the first iteration of “The Green New Deal”- 1400 pages.
That went no where.
So, it was boiled down to 14 pages and co-sponsored w/ AOC.

And, you have yet to point us in a positive direction-who might we support to send to DC who will be the ones who can at least stand a chance of making a (positive) difference.
Yes, we are all this together, and in this democracy, it means we have an opportunity to make our voices heard.
VOTE!

Please advise.