[LincolnTalk] Rajarani Temple, Bhubaneswar, India

[LincolnTalk] Rajarani Temple, Bhubaneswar, India

Bijoy Misra
Friends,
i take this opportunity to write about various notable sites in this
town.  This town is architecturally gorgeous.
Within walking distance from where I live exists Rajarani temple,
literally meaning the "Queen Temple".  Placed in a quadrangle
of gardens and greens the petite 80 feet temple is possibly the
best carved temple in the world.  I walked there on the 16th and
was stunned to observe the beauty of construction.  Gently sloping
to an aesthetic curvature, what puzzled me about the amount of
mathematical calculations that must have gone into the construction.
There must be calculations in projection geometry to place objects in height and astronomy to play with light and shade for highlighting the
carvings.  The temple is five-tiered, possible creating gravitational
balance to maintain the plumb-line.  But most exquisite are the
carvings themselves, so fine that it would compete with any metallic
jewelry.  Fine jewelry and design have been products in the neighboring areas for a long time.  We did invite a filigree artist to Boston Museum
of Science in 1987.  Calculation of how much carving would hurt the
stability of the structure would need research.  If you think critically,
it is astounding engineering work apparently from the 11th century.

Here is a temple picture from the web.  I have to return to take
closeups.

image.png

I will write on structures what I have visited.

Best regards,
Bijoy (in Bhubaneswar, India)

Re: [LincolnTalk] Rajarani Temple, Bhubaneswar, India

Annamaria San Antonio-2
Dear Bijoy,
Thank you for your news from India emails. I am enjoying experiencing through your eyes.  In some ways, I am envious of you there!   What beauty there is everywhere!
You mentioned in a previous email, that your wife is alone in your house here.  Please let me now if there's anything I can do for her as I live not far.
Blessings to you and your family and stay safe, healthy, and filled with visions and creations for a better world.
~Jai Kaur

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 1:13 AM Bijoy Misra <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Stephanie Smoot
What beauty!

On Thursday, March 26, 2020, Bijoy Misra <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

857 368-9175  work
781 941-6842  personal cell
617 595-5217 work cell
126 Chestnut Circle
Lincoln, MA 01773

Please note we no longer have a landline!

Re: [LincolnTalk] Rajarani Temple, Bhubaneswar, India

Bijoy,

Thank you!

These photos are just beautiful!

If it is possible, would you be able to post a link to all of your photos from your trip?

We would love to incorporate the photos and any information about them into a lesson about India for our 6 & 7 year old that we are now trying to home school.

Thank you and stay safe & healthy!

Joanna Schmergel

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Thursday, March 26, 2020, 1:13 AM, Bijoy Misra <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Joanna,
I borrowed the pictures from the web.  I just took a walking tour just the day before they
blocked all movement.  I can help make a module for you after I return.  Preparing educational
modules is a task of India Discovery Center.
The area teems with history.  The town runs unconcerned with what it possesses!
I will write more later.
Best regards,
Bijoy

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 11:15 AM Joanna Owen Schmergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Lincoln mailing list
Bijoy,

Thank you so much!

Stay safe & healthy!