[LincolnTalk] Question

Sarah Schuller
I should know this probably, but I don’t.  Can Lincoln kids still attend minuteman tech? All I knew is they were low on funding, can someone just pull me up to date.  Thank you!

Re: [LincolnTalk] Question

sharon antia
Dear Sarah, yes Lincoln kids can still attend Minuteman Tech
but...they no longer have first dibs on seats.  So for example, were
you to have a daughter that is interested in going there in a few
years, and she is a student of good standing, she may or may not get
in.  'In district' students get priority and we, Lincoln, chose not to
be part of the district.  Statistically, when a new tech school is
built it becomes over-subscribed right from the drop rendering it
difficult to gain entry for anyone, never mind out of district
students.

The 'good' news is, now that we are not part of any technical school
district, 'our' kids can go to any of the local tech schools (Nashoba,
Keefe, Assabet to name a few) and Lincoln will be responsible for both
the tuition and the transportation.  One theory is this opens up
opportunities to chose from a variety of options.  Reality is
Minuteman is the highest rated (showing my bias perhaps but I believe
this is true), it is in Lincoln and once it is finished it will be
state of the art so those of us that think the building informs the
quality of education will certainly believe it to be superior (sorry,
being a little snarky).

Another reality is that while we were promised that all of the local
tech schools will be brought into the middle school to market their
options, the parents I have spoken to reported they had no idea they
could choose from all of these schools so I do not know how much
energy it will take to review the options.  I do know when we sent one
of our children to Minuteman we were strongly discouraged from doing
so and in fact the paperwork was not sent in to MM and I had to
scramble at the last minute to get things in order for him to start
with his peers and LS called and emailed me for months telling me my
son was absent (apparently his paperwork was forwarded to the wrong
hs).  Point being it is much easier to follow the traditional path,
not suggesting you follow the traditional path or not, just saying it
takes a bit of resourcefullness.

Peace to you too,
-ska

On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 7:13 AM Sarah Schuller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I should know this probably, but I don’t.  Can Lincoln kids still attend minuteman tech? All I knew is they were low on funding, can someone just pull me up to date.  Thank you! --
> The LincolnTalk mailing list.
> To post, send mail to [hidden email].
> Search the archives at http://lincoln.2330058.n4.nabble.com/.
> Browse the archives at https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/private/lincoln/.

Re: [LincolnTalk] Question

As far as I know, they may only attend MM if the school is not at full enrollment. Priority goes to students in the district.
Although MM presented clear evidence that the past three new school buildings resulted in over-enrollment, our town boards refuted this claim without presenting one shred of evidence as to why.
And although almost half of FinCom was married to our School Committee at the time, they felt there was no bias  there and that the one MM advocate deserved to be shunned from the committee due to “bias” concerns.

Sorry for the soap box. I am down to a daily three post maximum now...hopefully less.

Thanks,

Vin

Sent from my iPhone, so please excuse any spelling, or syntax errors.

On Dec 7, 2018, at 7:12 AM, Sarah Schuller <[hidden email]> wrote:

I should know this probably, but I don’t.  Can Lincoln kids still attend minuteman tech? All I knew is they were low on funding, can someone just pull me up to date.  Thank you!

Re: [LincolnTalk] Question

awaugh
Hi Sarah,

The Lincoln Squirrel covered all this in detail as Minuteman were trying to round up town funding for the new school building. This article has links to more background at the end:

Lincoln withdraws from Minuteman school district

Alice