[LincolnTalk] Question re: MA PFML

Lido Bigelow
Thank you for taking the first step of answering my questions by opening this e-mail!

This post is not meant to be a discussion about PFML (Paid Medical Family Leave).  I have a reporting question that I cannot seem to get a definitive answer so I thought I would reach out to LincolnTalk.  There always seems to be someone out there that has the answer!

A couple of details:
1.  The question s pertaining to a non-profit organization I volunteer for.
2.  We know that we are required to pay the tax and are prepared to do so.  Our board has stated to our workforce that we will pay 100% of the required contribution required.
3.  Those that perform work for us are paid as independent contractors and are issued a 1099 when criteria is met.

I have done quite a bit of research on this as well as talked to a few people and I am getting different opinions.  I even had the pleasure of finding conflicting information on the MA State site. (Yes, I sent the state an email with the link where the errors were found)

Here is the information I am looking for:

1.   If our organization is making the entire contribution does any of it need to be reported on the 1099?  I believe only if the “employee” were making some of the contribution it would need to show on the 1099.  We know the contribution has to be reported and paid to the state through Mass Connect.
2.  If our organization is making the entire contribution (we are actually only required to pay a portion, but offered to pay all) do we need to have their pay “grossed up”?  I believe we do not, but I cannot find concrete evidence that this is correct.

If there is anyone out there that can answer my two questions I would very much appreciate it!

Thank you!
Katie