[LincolnTalk] Possibly sick raccoon

John F. Carr
Do we have any known cases of rabies in or near Lincoln recently?  I
saw a possibly sick raccoon today.

(Details: It was in the middle of Page Road at 4:30 PM.  As our car
approached it walked slowly away.  I thought its back was arched more
than usual.  A companion thought it was walking funny.  It definitely
was not moving as fast as a normal raccoon would run when frightened.
Maybe it's not afraid of cars.  I have seen an obviously rabid raccoon
before, and this one wasn't as bad.  But you don't usually see them in
the daytime.)

Re: [LincolnTalk] Possibly sick raccoon

Kathleen Lomatoski
Hi,
FYI: There have been recent cases of rabid raccoons in Sudbury. I have seen a (perhaps older) raccoon not too far from the Lincoln Library a few times recently who has a limp, is somewhat hunched & thin and moves slowly. I do not know how far raccoons range--not sure if the one I saw could be the same creature as mentioned. Take extreme care if you encounter a rabid animal as in the late stages they can attack and going through the required rabies shots is not fun.

With the extended hot and dry weather, some wildlife are acting outside of typical norms. For instance I have been surprised to see field mice running around during the daytime and they are typically nocturnal.

The Lincoln police have previously informed me that the animal control person does not deal with wildlife, though I believe the police inform her when residents report local incidents of concern.

Kathleen Lomatoski

[hidden email]