[LincolnTalk] PSA from Mass Dept of Agricultural Resources

12

[LincolnTalk] PSA from Mass Dept of Agricultural Resources

LLCT Information
A PSA:

The Mass Dept. of Agricultural Resources (MDAR) has been notified that several MA residents have received unsolicited packages containing seeds, which are unidentified and could be invasive plants. If you receive such a package, please report it to MDAR, and do not plant the seeds. MDAR will provide information on proper collection/disposal of the seeds.

More info:
https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2020/07/29/massachusetts-seeds-mail

Thank you!

Re: [LincolnTalk] PSA from Mass Dept of Agricultural Resources

samattes
That was an unnecessary racist post...and on this day, when John Lewis is reminding us to find our better selves and act accordingly.
Sara

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 30, 2020, at 8:05 AM, john gregg via Lincoln <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Richard Panetta
Sara,

Please explain the “racist” part? Are they believed to have come from a China? News outlets at

Did the Coronavirus not originate in Wuhan?

Seems factual not racist

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 8:09 AM Sara Mattes <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sorry part of that was cut off.

Missing sentence was - News outlets are saying  they did.

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 8:13 AM Richard Panetta <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

This refrain, repeatedly used by Trump, has been universally recognized and  denounced as race-baiting...except by Fox & Friends,  Brietbart, and his Trump’s sons.
It seems esp insensitive to use it on a day we pay our final respects to a champion of human rights, whose final words call us to keep striving  find higher ground.
Sara

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 30, 2020, at 8:13 AM, Richard Panetta <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

John F. Carr
Keep your hate speech of Lincoln Talk.  Next time you think about
calling somebody the r-word back away from the keyboard, put on your
hazmat suit, and take a long walk instead.

On 7/30/20, Sara Mattes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That was an unnecessary racist post

Re: [LincolnTalk] PSA from Mass Dept of Agricultural Resources

So let me ask you a straight question, do you believe and trust what the Chinese Government tells the world? I am not shocked of the racist comments, it is the cancel culture, but it is the facts and not racial.

There are people who would rather believe a Chinese "news" outlet, but yet China is single handedly the worst offender of Human Rights violations(PLEASE READ BELOW). They lied to us about the corona virus, they have lied to us about Hong Kong, they have imprisoned and indoctrinated anyone who talks out against the government, the KILL their own people to harvest organs on the open market for profit, they have work camps like the Gulags under Stalin, but I am a racist for saying what has been reported.

John Lewis' legacy will live on, he has a bill named after him, he is getting a proper remembrance for the great things he did but yet you want to give credence to China who takes away those same human rights of people in their own country, in Hong Kong,and in Taiwan. China could have helped attempt to contain the spread of the corona virus but instead of helping it was WHO and China cooperatively stopping Taiwan from getting this information out. So yes when you get a package and it says it is possibly from the Chinese I do think it is a good practice to be skeptical of the source and get the facts which is not racist, it is called being a good citizen of the US and human being. China has profited from covid-19 and continues to take  advantage of the lack of accountability, build and buy American and hold China accountable.

Human Rights list from Amnesty International, not Fox News:

WHO does not recognize Tiawan claims because China does not recognize it as a country:

On Thursday, July 30, 2020, 08:08:50 AM EDT, Sara Mattes <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Bob Kupperstein
There has never been any evidence that the virus is anything but naturally occurring (though, certainly enabled by human development and certain agriculture practices).  It was not 'created' or intentionally spread by people, so the statement 'sent to you from the same people who brought you the corona virus' is pretty slanderous and is just parroting a president who lies so frequently that he has zero credibility.

The scandal of this virus is the virtually worst-on-the-planet response by our president.

On Thursday, July 30, 2020, 09:38:42 AM EDT, john gregg <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thursday, July 30, 2020, 08:58:30 AM EDT, John F. Carr <[hidden email]> wrote:

Keep your hate speech of Lincoln Talk.  Next time you think about
calling somebody the r-word back away from the keyboard, put on your
hazmat suit, and take a long walk instead.

On 7/30/20, Sara Mattes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That was an unnecessary racist post

Re: [LincolnTalk] PSA from Mass Dept of Agricultural Resources

Lis Herbert
No, the point is that the country of origin doesn’t matter — even if a neighbor offered you seeds that you couldn’t identify, you shouldn’t plant them.

This is about basic, apolitical pragmatism —  in astoundingly short supply these days.

Lis

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 30, 2020, at 11:09 AM, Laura Crosby <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

djcp0219
Calling the Sars-Cov-2 virus the "China Virus" is pretty shortsighted and
smacks of some bias because for a long time now the fault has been our own
for not controlling it.  We have had the knowledge to beat this thing, but
due to a failure in leadership and some outright stupidity, it is out of
control and we have over 150,000 dead.

And I agree with Lis.  If you plant some random seeds you get in the mail,
then you need some help.  Our morals are constantly tested, even as we walk
down our own streets, so pointing fingers at China is, again, shortsighted.
For example, other countries have warned their citizens against traveling to
America because of gun violence.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/08/06/gun-violence-america-prompts-growing-list-countries-issue-travel-warnings/
Things are not so rosy in America, folks.

--
Sent from: http://lincoln.2330058.n4.nabble.com/

Re: [LincolnTalk] PSA from Mass Dept of Agricultural Resources

Richard Panetta
Please read is comment again. I’d address you by name but you posted this anonymously.

He never called it the China virus

“Sent from the Chinese” it originated in an outdoor Chinese market so it “came from China”. so we are told

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 10:21 AM djcp0219 <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

nickribush
He always calls it the China virus. A week ago, for example:

"We've had a tremendous week uniting the country in our fight against the China virus.  I have reminded people of the importance of masks when you can’t socially distance, in particular.  A strong message has been sent out to young people to stop going to crowded bars and other crowded places."

But the new name is the Trump virus.

n.

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 10:27 AM Richard Panetta <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Nick,

I assumed she was referring about John and not Trump

There was no body below her reply to know who she was taking about so I assumed it was John

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 10:38 AM Nicholas Ribush <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Rachel Marie Schachter
The way we use language affects the way we conceptualize things and in turn the way we think and act towards people. Terms like "the China virus" aside, saying that the virus or these seeds came from "the Chinese" does not clearly indicate or implicate the Chinese government, but Chinese people as a broader category, and perpetuating that kind of thought has real world effects on Chinese people, including Chinese Americans. We've seen Chinatowns across the country struggle financially this year for this reason.

And this use of language is especially dangerous when used by White people to describe a group that we believe, correctly or not, consciously or not, we can distinguish visually from ourselves. Saying that "the Russians" hacked the 2016 election is no better or more accurate, but (as far as I know) there aren't Russiatowns losing business because people are afraid to go there, and more importantly, I wouldn't presume to be able to recognize an American of Russian descent walking down the street. Because they just look White to me. It's the same reason we remember and discuss Japanese internment camps during WWII, not German and Italian ones, even though there were far more German and Italian Americans than Japanese. It's a lot easier to other people we find easily recognizable and different from ourselves. And language either makes us complicit in that or not.

Rachel