[LincolnTalk] PS: For residents with PV solar installations, does the Green Energy Choice program make environmental sense?

[LincolnTalk] PS: For residents with PV solar installations, does the Green Energy Choice program make environmental sense?

Lincoln mailing list
As Robert Domitz posted recently, I too wonder, and didn't see any answers. As he wrote:

 "On an annual basis, my solar installation produces more electricity than I consume.  If I opt out of the Green Energy Choice program and stay with Eversource, my excess electricity will reduce the fossil fuel used by Eversource's other customers.  I'm wondering if one of the experts in town can comment on whether "opting out" is the most environmentally responsible alternative for those of us with solar installations that generate excess electricity."

I signed up for solar early and it has been beneficial for us, and hopefully many more,  so I wonder about his query too.

Can the green committee address this for us, please?  I question much these days, especially in light of the recent "Lincoln Green Energy Choice" I received in the mail today?

Frankly, I need more information.

Thank you.

Jean Palmer
Tower Road

Re: [LincolnTalk] PS: For residents with PV solar installations, does the Green Energy Choice program make environmental sense?

Lincoln mailing list
Hey Jean -

I believe my reply to Robert just hit LT a little while ago after the moderator check. If you missed it, the answer to his question is that staying with the program is definitely environmentally beneficial. Even though your solar installation may produce more than you consume on an annual basis, your household will be consuming electricity even when the panels aren't generating electricity due to nighttime, cloudy conditions, panels being covered with snow, or your system being offline due to maintenance cycles. When you are pulling power off the grid during these periods, participating in Green Energy Choice means that your power purchases insure renewably generated power as part of our local grid. As mentioned in the reply to Robert, if you are looking to reduce emissions to an even greater extent, Green Energy Choice offers the Total Green 100% renewable option for a marginal extra cost per month over the Standard Green option.

As Sue and Lynne have mentioned in other threads, there will be information sessions offered over the next couple of weeks where you can learn more about the program. Check out previous posts for zoom meeting information or visit LincolnGreenEnergyChoice.com for more details.

Thanks for the question!

CJ Volpone
Member, Green Energy Committee