[LincolnTalk] Non-chemical management of Japanese Beetles?

[LincolnTalk] Non-chemical management of Japanese Beetles?

Lincoln mailing list
> Dear LT,
>
> I seem to have some Japanese beetles around. I’ve read they are pretty destructive, and I’d like to seek your advice regarding: a) how proactive I should be about “managing”’them (how bad are they really?)  and b) if I need to manage them, how best to do so without chemicals that would harm other flora and fauna?
>
> Thank you!
> Michelle Barnes
> South Great Road
> <image5.jpeg>

Re: [LincolnTalk] Non-chemical management of Japanese Beetles?

Debra Daugherty
This looked super informative and includes biological controls and traps as options.

--Debra Daugherty

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 12:04 PM Michelle Barnes via Lincoln <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear LT,
>
> I seem to have some Japanese beetles around. I’ve read they are pretty destructive, and I’d like to seek your advice regarding: a) how proactive I should be about “managing”’them (how bad are they really?)  and b) if I need to manage them, how best to do so without chemicals that would harm other flora and fauna?
>
> Thank you!
> Michelle Barnes
> South Great Road
> <image5.jpeg>

Re: [LincolnTalk] Non-chemical management of Japanese Beetles?

Lincoln mailing list
Thanks Debra, this looks quite thorough!

Best regards,
Michelle

On Jul 3, 2020, at 12:30 PM, Debra Daugherty <[hidden email]> wrote:

This looked super informative and includes biological controls and traps as options.

--Debra Daugherty

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 12:04 PM Michelle Barnes via Lincoln <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear LT,
>
> I seem to have some Japanese beetles around. I’ve read they are pretty destructive, and I’d like to seek your advice regarding: a) how proactive I should be about “managing”’them (how bad are they really?)  and b) if I need to manage them, how best to do so without chemicals that would harm other flora and fauna?
>
> Thank you!
> Michelle Barnes
> South Great Road
> <image5.jpeg>

Re: [LincolnTalk] Non-chemical management of Japanese Beetles?

aspang
Hi, Michelle,

I have not dealt with Japanese beetles in many years, but I can say that an infestation can severely damage (to the point of death) roses.  I recall my father battling them with liquid traps, fluid-filled bags hanging from a stake that had an attractant.  The beetles would then fall into the liquid and meet their demise.  You might look for these at a hardware or garden store.

His alternate method was hand-plucking each beetle from the leaves and squishing it between his fingers.  Tedious and 🤮.

Good luck,
Andrew Pang

Sent from Xfinity Connect App

Re: [LincolnTalk] Non-chemical management of Japanese Beetles?

samattes
Similar traps have worked great for us.
The downside-the smell of the dead bugs!
Good luck to all dealing with them
Sara

> On Jul 3, 2020, at 12:53 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi, Michelle,
>
> I have not dealt with Japanese beetles in many years, but I can say that an infestation can severely damage (to the point of death) roses.  I recall my father battling them with liquid traps, fluid-filled bags hanging from a stake that had an attractant.  The beetles would then fall into the liquid and meet their demise.  You might look for these at a hardware or garden store.
>
> His alternate method was hand-plucking each beetle from the leaves and squishing it between his fingers.  Tedious and 🤮.
>
> Good luck,
> Andrew Pang
>

> Sent from Xfinity Connect App

Daniela Caride
Hi,

I don't recommend traps. They will attract more and more beetles to your home. They will most likely worsen your problem.

The best way by far to deal with Japanese beetles (if there too many to pick by hand) is to apply milky spores on your garden before rain hits it. It is a compound that makes Japanese beetles sick and they eventually die. This only attacks these specific beetles, not posing a threat to beneficial insects. It will also spread year after year.

The only downside is the price. It is costly, but you only have to do it once (if you do it right). If you are interested, email me separately and I will give more details.

I applied it in my gardens in Lincoln some 5 years ago, and the beetle population got to almost zero by the time I moved, last year.
_______

Daniela Caride

The information in this email is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you believe I sent you this email in error, please contact me and properly dispose of the email. Thank you!

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 2:33 PM Sara Mattes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Similar traps have worked great for us.
The downside-the smell of the dead bugs!
Good luck to all dealing with them
Sara

> On Jul 3, 2020, at 12:53 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi, Michelle,
>
> I have not dealt with Japanese beetles in many years, but I can say that an infestation can severely damage (to the point of death) roses.  I recall my father battling them with liquid traps, fluid-filled bags hanging from a stake that had an attractant.  The beetles would then fall into the liquid and meet their demise.  You might look for these at a hardware or garden store.
>
> His alternate method was hand-plucking each beetle from the leaves and squishing it between his fingers.  Tedious and 🤮.
>
> Good luck,
> Andrew Pang
>

> Sent from Xfinity Connect App

Pastor Allen
Pheromone-based Japanese Beetle traps have worked fairly well for us, combined with the application of nematodes to our lawn each year (nematodes attack and destroy the beetle larva).

Never heard of “Milky Spores” - will have to look into it.

- Allen Vander Meulen

On Jul 3, 2020, at 17:07, Daniela Caride <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I don't recommend traps. They will attract more and more beetles to your home. They will most likely worsen your problem.

The best way by far to deal with Japanese beetles (if there too many to pick by hand) is to apply milky spores on your garden before rain hits it. It is a compound that makes Japanese beetles sick and they eventually die. This only attacks these specific beetles, not posing a threat to beneficial insects. It will also spread year after year.

The only downside is the price. It is costly, but you only have to do it once (if you do it right). If you are interested, email me separately and I will give more details.

I applied it in my gardens in Lincoln some 5 years ago, and the beetle population got to almost zero by the time I moved, last year.
_______

Daniela Caride

The information in this email is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you believe I sent you this email in error, please contact me and properly dispose of the email. Thank you!

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 2:33 PM Sara Mattes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Similar traps have worked great for us.
The downside-the smell of the dead bugs!
Good luck to all dealing with them
Sara

> On Jul 3, 2020, at 12:53 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi, Michelle,
>
> I have not dealt with Japanese beetles in many years, but I can say that an infestation can severely damage (to the point of death) roses.  I recall my father battling them with liquid traps, fluid-filled bags hanging from a stake that had an attractant.  The beetles would then fall into the liquid and meet their demise.  You might look for these at a hardware or garden store.
>
> His alternate method was hand-plucking each beetle from the leaves and squishing it between his fingers.  Tedious and 🤮.
>
> Good luck,
> Andrew Pang
>

> Sent from Xfinity Connect App

Many thanks to you all for your sharing your knowledge, experience and counsel. From what I’ve gathered from both the public and private comments, milky spores are the way to go although the pheromone traps are ok if you don’t mind collecting your neighbors’ beetles as well (a good neighborly thing to do if you don’t mind the risk of attracting the beetles to your own land). If you have chickens, let ‘me loose in fall and spring to eat the grubs and interrupt their lifecycle.

Seems like something I should indeed try to control for the public benefit (I’m not personally too fussed about it at this point) as they have devastated crops in the past, and that there are some environment-friendly ways of so doing.  I’ve read that Lady beetles eat them too, but can only will them to come. :)

Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Best regards,
Michelle