[LincolnTalk] New forum?

Lincoln mailing list
I have been both shocked and saddened by the use of this forum. We had a wonderful email listserv in Somerville that was for families to share information about events, passing along items for sale or give away, asking for parental advice, or recommendations for help. It was thoughtful, it was inclusive, and it was always polite. People also had a basic understanding that private conversation should be kept in the private sphere and that public conversation should be done with a certain amount of decorum. None of that exists on this listserv. It’s disappointing. I am aware of many people who refuse to use this list serve because of the tone and redundancy of the conversations on here. My husband has already unsubscribed. It feels like the kind of situation where people yell loud enough that everybody leaves the room and there’s no one left with any rational conversation abilities. Can we please stop having private discussions (fights) in a public forum? If there are others out there who would prefer a different venue please let me know as I’ve been considering setting up a more friendly and family focused list. Thank you all.

Norana

Re: [LincolnTalk] New forum?

Sasha Golden
Thanks, Norana.

I check out the list for announcements concerning events and town meetings, to get recommendations about services, and otherwise get to know people a little. Unfortunately, this list has been hijacked by a few people who just cannot seem to resist getting into an electronic bar fight.

I respectfully ask the moderator to step up here. Either tell the routine offenders to take things off list when they get overheated or unsubscribe them.

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 7:36 AM Norana Caivano via Lincoln <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Andrew Payne
 Sasha wrote:

I respectfully ask the moderator to step up here. Either tell the routine offenders to take things off list when they get overheated or unsubscribe them.

There's another option:  mute threads that aren't interesting -- most email systems have this feature.  It's long been in Gmail, and it's now in iOS (13 that just came out), etc.

It's not just useful on LT; it's helpful for your entire email life!

I agree that more conversations could be taken off-line.  But with ~1,000 subscribers here, I think there are a lot of different views about what this list is (or should be).  Instead of imposing one subscriber's view on the entire list, I believe using the available tools to filter/mute is more in the spirit of "can we all just get along?"

One reader's view,

-andy

Re: [LincolnTalk] New forum?

sharon antia
Norana, welcome to Lincoln :-)

Sorry to learn you are not happy with this listserv.  I find it endlessly informative and useful.   You wrote ' [the Somerville listserv] was thoughtful, it was inclusive, and it was always polite. People also had a basic understanding that private conversation should be kept in the private sphere and that public conversation should be done with a certain amount of decorum. None of that exists on this listserv. '

Really.  No decorum?  Sure people get exited but, speaking of the current topic du jour, real estate taxes, this is important and confusing.  I learn so much from hearing from people like Sara and Dennis and I would not want one of them to stop posting for fear that 'we' don't want to hear from them.  I have not found people to be inappropriate.

Often there is a back and forth on a topic I do not find interesting and like Andy suggested, I just ignore or mute them.  On the other hand, on this listserv I learn about happenings at First Parish and St Vincent de Paul, about the events celebrating India from Bijoy, about job postings, apartments available and more things being given away or sold than I would ever have imagined.

Sorry you do not feel this list is inclusive or appropriate Norana.  I think it is a gift to the town.
-ska

 Sasha wrote:

[...]

Dennis Liu

Sasha wrote:  “So, to continue my electronic bar fight metaphor, at some point the bouncers step in when things get so out of order that everyone else's evening is about to get ruined. “

Perhaps a more applicable analogy is that if you do not wish to watch a boxing match on television, it’s perfectly easy to change the channel.  😊

In just September, LincolnTalk has had email threads on the following subjects:

  1. Pest control
  2. Free crib
  3. Flower identification
  4. Architectural/design critique of school project
  5. Missing cat
  6. Northern lights notice
  7. Attempt to scam folks with fake rental listing
  8. Lunchtime concert notice at Bemis
  9. Garage sales
  10. Tree down warning
  11. Piano moving
  12. Red Sox tickets
  13. Audubon shop
  14. Another missing cat
  15. Real restaurant recommendation
  16. Chimney care
  17. Indian classical concert
  18. Safe drug disposal kits
  19. Seeking donated laptops
  20. ISO part-time caregiver
  21. Composting
  22. Missing dog
  23. Library notices
  24. EEE warning and mosquito spraying
  25. …and Lots of stuff for sale to raise money for METCO

Wait, I was wrong, that was only *the first week* of September.  I can’t imagine that anyone in Lincoln has critical interest in *every topic* that gets posted and discussed.

Therefore:  why not just “change the channel”?  If you are not interested in a topic, how difficult is it to hit “delete” (or, as Andy thoughtfully pointed out, “mute”)?

Is it more of a burden for residents to self-censor on a topic when others might be really interested in following along, or for a reader to click the mouse or hit a key?

Folks have floated the idea to the moderators to create sub-lists, so that folks can subscribe *only* to “items for sale” or “town notices” or “service provider recommendations” or “political discussions of climate change and how we need to take action.”  There are certainly some pluses, but also some minuses to that; the moderators have, IIRC, taken the position that they are going to keep to only “one” list, at least for now.

But anyone can easily start a separate list focused on only one segment of interest – for free or nearly free, and with very little effort.

Or one can just hit “delete” / “mute”.

My $0.02….

--Dennis

Re: [LincolnTalk] New forum?

Barbara Low
Although I sometimes get annoyed at some of the posts, it's very easy to delete what one doesn't want to read. I just deleted about 50 messages. However, I don't think bifurcating the list is the way to go. People are not forced to read anything that doesn't interest them. We don't need more lists. People just need to ignore what they don't want to read.

Also, after living in town for 41 years, it is often easier to write one's opinion than stand up and speak out loud at town meeting.

Barbara Low

[...]

Sincerely,
Kathryn Anagnostakis