[LincolnTalk] Mike Farny

Ken Hablow

We lived in Weston when Mike started the guide service. We saw it go from the second floor on Lewis St to the old grocery store on Lincoln Rd. I bought my first real bike from Lincoln Guide Service about 45 years ago. Several years later I bought a custom Peter Mooney bike through LGS.(Peter is a co-owner of Belmont WheelWorks.) Mike ran occasional bike tours through town and other local communities. I led several of these local tours for Mike. There was never a charge to participate. He was good with kids, had great mechanics working on bikes and skis, and provided excellent, courteous service. I also bought several cross-country skis from LGS. In the spring Mike would assemble a group of volunteers to clean up the Lincoln trails and during the summer to police the trails and keep them clean of trash. He was very community oriented. My wife and I learned to xc ski at the Weston Ski Track when Mike owned it. I am not sure he realized how much he meant to people and the town, he just did what he thought would please people with his expertise.

Ken Hablow

www.khgraphics.com