[LincolnTalk] Meal Assistance for our School Children

[LincolnTalk] Meal Assistance for our School Children

Susan Taylor

Lincoln Schools seek your help with funding our Meal Assistance program, especially now our closure is extended until early May.  We have just installed an effective means for accepting community donations through UniPay Gold - any amount gladly will be accepted.

We are currently providing 55 students in 32 families at home in Lincoln, Boston, and at Hanscom Air Force Base with lunch for each weekday.  The cost of one meal is $3.10.  Our district cost for one week’s meals is about $850, and we will not receive any federal funds to cover the costs.

To donate, click on this link UniPay site

In the gray window under “Search,” scroll down to select "Lincoln Public Schools.”  This takes you directly to our transaction page. The Meal Assistance tab is on the left. You may contribute via check or credit card.

Our regular Food Services program in our schools is a self-sustaining program that is not funded in our operating budget.  This is true for most school districts.  The employees and the costs of running a food services program are paid by federal grants provided to schools and by the revenue received when students purchase lunch each day.  We operate our Food Services programs to break-even each school year.  During this closure, we have no revenue coming in.  In addition, the Federal Government is only reimbursing districts for provision of meals if their district or a school has 50% or higher students who receive free or reduced lunch.  We do not qualify and therefore, will not receive any funds to cover the cost of the meals we are providing to families during this closure.

I have made the first donation to this fund. I hope you will join me in supporting our families.

Sincerely,

Becky McFall, Superintendent of Lincoln Public Schools