[LincolnTalk] Massachusetts Circuit Breaker vs Other Tax relief

[LincolnTalk] Massachusetts Circuit Breaker vs Other Tax relief

Stanley J. Solomon

I have been doing Income Taxes for Seniors in Lexington for thirteen years. I can assure all Lincoln taxpayers that Seth Rosen’s dismissal of the the effect of the Massachusetts Circuit Breaker on senior Lexington residents is as a widfall. A windfall particularly as compared to the potential tax reduction of a plan that I undrstand has not been implimented in Massachussets, may not be legal and is likely not free of Federal Income Tax. Its $1100 dollars for which they don’t have to ask their children.

Stan Solomon

Re: [LincolnTalk] Massachusetts Circuit Breaker vs Other Tax relief

Seth Rosen
Hi Stan - I'm afraid I don't understand your response.  I did not dismiss the Massachusetts Circuit Breaker (MCB) as a potential tool, nor did I offer any commentary on its prospective impact on the senior population of Lexington or Lincoln.  I also never characterized it as a windfall.  I don't pretend to understand the unique challenges faced by the senior population in Lexington or Lincoln, as I have no direct experience working with them.  Although I'm not sure having that experience would change my position.

Rather, I pointed out that the MCB and the Residential Exemption (RE) are dramatically different tools in terms of reach, impact, and externalized costs.  Your characterization of the RE as potentially illegal is not correct - it is certainly legal, and it can be implemented without a town vote.  Your assertion that it has not been implemented in Massachusetts is also incorrect - several communities have implemented it, although as several folks have pointed out, those communities look very different than ours in many important ways.  I don't understand your comment about the federal income tax implications of the RE... it seems you are suggesting the reduction is somehow includable in gross income?  I don't think so.

As for the $1100 they "don't have to ask their children for" this becomes a philosophical debate.  I think their children should pay for it before my children do :-) but others can certainly disagree on that.  This becomes a moral, political and philosophical debate, and I've not had much luck litigating those types of things to conclusion in any public forum!  It's sort of an "agree to disagree" situation. I certainly respect your opinion on the matter, and don't mean in any way to dismiss the hardships faced by our senior population.

As Andy says.... "just one neighbor's view!"

Seth

Seth I Rosen
Cell: 617-771-5602
Email: [hidden email]