[LincolnTalk] Horses on the loose

Pastor Allen
Our two miniature ponies have gotten loose from our barn on beaver Pond Road. If you see them wandering around please call me as soon as possible 617-909-9516.

Thank you!

Allen Vander Meulen

Re: [LincolnTalk] Horses on the loose

Pastor Allen
Thanks for the many folks who pointed us in the right direction and to the two Lincoln police officers who were very patient with us! The horses have been recovered and are back home where they belong.

-Allen Vander Meulen

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 31, 2020, at 13:17, Pastor Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Our two miniature ponies have gotten loose from our barn on beaver Pond Road. If you see them wandering around please call me as soon as possible 617-909-9516.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Allen Vander Meulen
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Re: [LincolnTalk] Horses on the loose

samattes
Good news-glad they are back, safe and sound.

Now that made me smile in so many ways…it used to be a regular occurrence in town.
Back, before organized sports and soccer became a thing, before the 1990s, horses were a thing.
Lots, and lots of kids had/rode.
Most backyards did not have fancy set ups and kids were in and out of paddocks and field.
Gate were let open, or greener grass had a hungry pony pushing through a wobbly fence.
Lots of wandering and round-ups, but without the benefit of LincolnTalk to assist.

There were also wandering cows (The Bassett answering machine message began with…”If you’re calling about the cows…”) and the notorious pigs that lived next door to the White Church who made a regular break for it…back in the day, great free entertainment for all.

Stay safe,
Sara

> On Jul 31, 2020, at 2:49 PM, Pastor Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the many folks who pointed us in the right direction and to the two Lincoln police officers who were very patient with us! The horses have been recovered and are back home where they belong.
>
> -Allen Vander Meulen
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jul 31, 2020, at 13:17, Pastor Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Our two miniature ponies have gotten loose from our barn on beaver Pond Road. If you see them wandering around please call me as soon as possible 617-909-9516.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Allen Vander Meulen
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: [LincolnTalk] Horses on the loose

Karen Keane
Great reminiscences, Sara!

Karen Keane
Sent from my iPhone

Karen Keane
Chief Executive Officer
Skinner, Inc.
63 Park Plaza
Boston, MA 02116

T: 508-970-3221

On Aug 2, 2020, at 6:41 PM, Sara Mattes <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Good news-glad they are back, safe and sound.

Now that made me smile in so many ways…it used to be a regular occurrence in town.
Back, before organized sports and soccer became a thing, before the 1990s, horses were a thing.
Lots, and lots of kids had/rode.
Most backyards did not have fancy set ups and kids were in and out of paddocks and field.
Gate were let open, or greener grass had a hungry pony pushing through a wobbly fence.
Lots of wandering and round-ups, but without the benefit of LincolnTalk to assist.

There were also wandering cows (The Bassett answering machine message began with…”If you’re calling about the cows…”) and the notorious pigs that lived next door to the White Church who made a regular break for it…back in the day, great free entertainment for all.

Stay safe,
Sara

> On Jul 31, 2020, at 2:49 PM, Pastor Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the many folks who pointed us in the right direction and to the two Lincoln police officers who were very patient with us! The horses have been recovered and are back home where they belong.
>
> -Allen Vander Meulen
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jul 31, 2020, at 13:17, Pastor Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Our two miniature ponies have gotten loose from our barn on beaver Pond Road. If you see them wandering around please call me as soon as possible 617-909-9516.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Allen Vander Meulen
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: [LincolnTalk] Horses on the loose

Some more - about 8 years ago? - a number of Codman cows got loose and went down and hung out on the railroad tracks.  Big rush to get the MBTA line to delay coming through while all struggled to round up the cows (it was night-time) and get everyone safely back where they belonged.

And then there was Hermann.  A very smart water buffalo that ended up somehow at Codman Farms.  It wasn't a very good year for the farm animals - they weren't always watered or fed properly.   (Way before the wonderful Pete Lowy arrived on the scene).  So one night Herman opened the pasture gate, and led 6 cows and one calf down Codman road, around the corner, and finally to the front of Bank of America.   It was 3 in the morning.   The police found them in front of the bank and the farmer was awakened to bring them home.  The then administrator claimed "food anachists" had opened the gate, but we all knew Hermann and friends were trying to get some ATM cash to flee the scene.