[LincolnTalk] Home security systems

Lincoln mailing list
I would suggest making sure you have consistently strong (enough) cell signal in your house before choosing a cellular-only security system.  Cell signal in Lincoln can be spotty.

The system we had installed recently is primarily internet but has cellular backup. For the 99.999999999999+% of the time that our house is not being broken into by a burglar who cut our Fios line, I'm happy knowing that fire, CO, etc are being monitored via internet. (AFAIK, fires don't proactively disable your internet before they start trying to burn your house down. :-)

We went with Millennium Alarm and thought they did a great job. They reused existing bits from an old wired system where possible and added new wireless sensors where needed.  Not much new drilling and every thing looks cleanly installed.

Do people really think the better DIY systems are on par with what traditional security companies offer?  We're happy with Millennium's service so far, but I also didn't really research the DIY's too much (principally out of laziness I'll admit) so if we're paying $100 price something that's been a $10 product all along but no one ever knew, then... well shoot!

-Steve

Re: [LincolnTalk] Home security systems

Andrew Payne

I would suggest making sure you have consistently strong (enough) cell signal in your house before choosing a cellular-only security system.  Cell signal in Lincoln can be spotty.

The installer normally deals with this.  They don't necessarily use the same carrier as you do, so a strong signal measured on your cell phone doesn't mean the alarm system cell box will work (or the other way around).

And in most alarm systems, the alerting method is modular:  cellular, phone line, and/or Internet.  In our case, we had copper phone lines and switched to cellular.  The installer gave us the coverage caveat, and we waited until we were up and running with verified coverage before pulling the phone lines.

-andy

Re: [LincolnTalk] Home security systems

Apolinaras Sinkevicius
Another point to consider (since in this town people seem to be more educated in tech than usual) cellular signal you need for LTE or 3G has higher threshold requirement than 2G these units use. Messages/commands exchanged between the alarm system (like Simplisafe I have) and control centers are the size of text messages or pager message. And yes, these systems have landline connections too, usually.

Also, considering the hack job I uncovered ripping out the ADT system, I question level of skill these installers have. Had to reinforce two studs and several other structural areas, since they decided to turn them into Swiss cheese by drilling dozen holes to try to fish their wires.I am not sure how that was passed by city inspector. They also breached fire block between attic and 2nd floor without bothering to use proper sealant.