[LincolnTalk] Help for those dealing with the snow...

[LincolnTalk] Help for those dealing with the snow...

Noah Eckhouse

Dear Lincoln Friends and Neighbors:

With Blizzard “Juno” bearing down on us, I wanted to preemptively offer assistance to our seniors, those with mobility limitations or people on their own.  I, and my posse of L-S kids (who will be at home and bored by noon) are happy to come over (by car, foot, ski or snowshoe) and:

-          Shovel

-          Dig out your car or firewood

-          Bring hot food or drinks (if we lose power)

-          Say hello

-          Tell bad jokes

It is time for all of us to look out for each other.  This storm will be beautiful but challenging.  Call me (259-8322) or email and we will do our best to come over and help.

Be safe!

Noah Eckhouse & the L-S Posse

Re: [LincolnTalk] Help for those dealing with the snow...

Andrew Payne

 With Blizzard “Juno” bearing down on us, I wanted to preemptively offer assistance to our seniors, those with mobility limitations or people on their own.

Noah:  what a fabulous and kind offer!

Also, with the coming storm, Lincoln's "rural character" with trees + overhead wiring + wet/heavy snow + wind gusts, equals a much, much higher chance of power outages.

Here is Nstar's outage map and reporting system (also 800-592-2000):  http://outage.nstar.com/outage/outagemap.aspx

Nstar on Twitter:  https://twitter.com/NSTAR_News

The Lincoln PD Facebook feed is a good source for town-specific announcements:  https://www.facebook.com/LincolnMAPolice

Finally, the projected overnight low for Wednesday is -2, and a house w/o power will cool very quickly at that temperature in the wind.  Check on your neighbors!

-andy

Re: [LincolnTalk] Help for those dealing with the snow...

In stark contrast, NStar has just phones to let me know that I should be prepared to experience outages…I should “switch to back-up source or move to another location.”
Now, that was helpful!

I’ll sign up for Noah’s offer-bad jokes will be surely welcome after day 3 of no power, heat or water, and NStar’s recorded messages….
Wood stove for warmth, gas stove top to cook, batteries for the radio, back-up charger for cell phone,lots of hearty reds, + a trash barrel of water for flushing have Conant Rd. set to ride it out.

Seriously, Noah’s offer is wonderful.
We’ll pass the message down the line in this sector.
Again, many thanks.

On Jan 26, 2015, at 2:13 PM, sarah cannon holden <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Terri Edmonston
I have a question about the water-, I've lived in Mass most of my life, but closer to the city, and never have needed water from a storm. Even in the blizzard of 78. Is the public water likely to 'go out' in Lincoln? Or is this just for people with wells?

Terri

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 26, 2015, at 4:54 PM, Sara Mattes <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Vincent Cannistraro
You will be fine for water.  However, you may have issues with your water heater, depending on whether it’s electric, or requires an electric signal to start the pilot, etc.

Vin
Vincent Cannistraro

On Jan 26, 2015, at 5:04 PM, Terri <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Dennis Liu

Terri – I think that’s right.  Home wells typically are run off an electric pump, into a pressure tank that has a reserve.  Depending on the capacity of the tank, you may still be able to flush your toilet a few times.  J

But for town water users, we should still get water through the storm and quite some time thereafter.  The Lincoln Water Department treats and pumps water from Flint’s Pond or the Tower Hill well into a storage tank on Bedford Hill.   From there, it’s gravity fed, I believe, to town water users.  Until that tank runs dry, we’ll have water.  Don’t know if the Water Department has backup generators or not, but given how large the storage tank is, I think we’ll be alright.

Report from Lincoln Water Department:  http://www.lincolntown.org/DocumentCenter/View/6782

Google Earth view of the storage tank:  https://www.google.com/maps/place/42%C2%B025'50.7%22N+71%C2%B017'59.6%22W/@42.430745,-71.299891,187m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Oh, and a reminder:  one can charge up a smartphone a LOT of times from your car battery, without having to start the vehicle.  That big lead-acid 12-volt battery can run DVD players too for some time, if one is desperate to entertain the kiddoes.  And, of course, if you do need to run the vehicle, do NOT do it in an enclosed garage with the door(s) closed.

HTH,

--Dennis

Re: [LincolnTalk] Help for those dealing with the snow...

Leslie Turek
Dennis,

Many thanks for that explanation of the water situation. I was wondering about that too!

Leslie Turek

Google Earth view of the storage tank:  <a href="https://www.google.com/maps/place/42%C2%B025&#39;50.7%22N+71%C2%B017&#39;59.6%22W/@42.430745,-71.299891,187m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0" target="_blank">https://www.google.com/maps/place/42%C2%B025'50.7%22N+71%C2%B017'59.6%22W/@42.430745,-71.299891,187m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0