[LincolnTalk] Help Homeless Families During the Holidays

[LincolnTalk] Help Homeless Families During the Holidays

Kim Jalet

Dear Families,

As so many of us are focused on Halloween in the next couple of weeks, I ask you to think about the holiday season ahead.  Will you join me in helping families in the Boston area who are homeless or transitioning from homelessness this holiday season?

This is my 7th year organizing the Heading Home Holiday Drive in our community, and with COVID-19, the need is greater than ever.  Last year, 200 generous donors provided assistance to 201 families from Heading Home, an organization located in Charlestown dedicated to ending homelessness.  Many families have reported that past participation has been a meaningful way to engage their children in giving and demonstrate the importance of reaching out to others in need.  Below is a picture of how incredibly generous this community was, and I hope our impact can be even greater this year.  Please respond to this email if you would like to make a partial kit (or an entire one or more!) for someone in our community this year.  This year’s Drive will be entirely virtual.

ABOUT THE KITS:

Donors can make a partial (or whole) Kit; an Amazon registry will be available for easy shopping, but donors who would like other options can speak to me about shipping to me from their favorite retailer.  Each Kit will include:

  • A $25 Stop & Shop gift card (directions for doing this so that we can get additional cards donated will be forthcoming)

  • A bed-in-a-bag (contains comforter and sheet set) for the parent

  • A towel set

  • A gift(s) valued between $25 and $50 for each child in a family.  Heading Home will provide suggestions.

WHAT I NEED FROM YOU:

  • By Monday, November 2: Respond to this email to commit to participating.  Let me know what you would like to contribute (a full or partial Kit).   Feel free to recruit others to join us!

  • By Monday, November 9: You will receive the sign-up sheet and directions for donating.  There will be suggestions from Heading Home.

  • By Monday, December 1: Buy the items you committed to buying to ensure that they arrive to me on time.

ADDITIONAL WAYS YOU CAN HELP:

  • Consider getting a group of friends or co-workers together to make an entire kit if you can’t do one yourself.  Make it a team event!  Just be sure to send me everyone’s name and emails please.

ABOUT HEADING HOME:

Heading Home is an impressive organization that considers the big picture as they work to fulfill their mission to “end homelessness in Greater Boston by providing a supported pathway to self-sufficiency that begins with a home, together with critical services such as life skills, financial literacy, and job training.”

According to their website, Heading Home “provides emergency, transitional and permanent housing, and support services, to low-income homeless and formerly homeless families and individuals in the communities of Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, Medford, Malden, Everett and Quincy.”

SUMMARY:

Please consider making the holidays a little brighter for individuals in our community.  I am hoping that we can make 220 kits this year.  Please follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/somervillemomsheadinghomeholidaydrive; I will post updates there.  If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Kim Jalet

Filling the Truck (1).jpg