[LincolnTalk] Hanscom schools go remote

Susan Taylor

Because several key staff members at Hanscom schools have been identified as presumptive close contacts to recent positive cases of COVID-19, the Hanscom Primary and Middle Schools will operate remotely until at least January 28. The Hanscom Preschool and schools on the Lincoln campus have not been affected and remain open.

“This does not mean there is a major spread,” Principal Erich Ledebuhr wrote to HMS parents.  In a Sunday email to all school families, District Superintendent Becky McFall explained that members of two families at Hanscom have tested positive and their contacts traced. While not all members of the schools are considered close contacts, the schools cannot open safely without some key staff members who are presumptive close contacts and must quarantine. Classes then move to remote learning according to the district’s COVID plan.

“Our students and staff worked hard all year to practice for this possibility,” Principal Julie Vincentsen wrote to HPS families, “so I am confident (it) will go well. While I am sure there will be bumps along the way, our staff is so positive and so strong that they will work through all of those bumps together with an amazing group of resilient kids!”

Dr. McFall called on all community members to recommit to pandemic precautions.

“We are seeing an increase in students and employees who are deemed close contacts and/or test positive as a result of interactions with persons outside of their household,” she wrote. “As I watch the trends across the state and see the increase of students and staff who need to quarantine at home, I am urging everyone to take a step back and minimize non-essential ontact with people outside of your household."

- Susan Taylor, School Committee member