[LincolnTalk] For residents with PV solar installations, does the Green Energy Choice program make environmental sense?

[LincolnTalk] For residents with PV solar installations, does the Green Energy Choice program make environmental sense?

Robert Domnitz
On an annual basis, my solar installation produces more electricity than I consume.  If I opt out of the Green Energy Choice program and stay with Eversource, my excess electricity will reduce the fossil fuel used by Eversource's other customers.  I'm wondering if one of the experts in town can comment on whether "opting out" is the most environmentally responsible alternative for those of us with solar installations that generate excess electricity.

Re: [LincolnTalk] For residents with PV solar installations, does the Green Energy Choice program make environmental sense?

Lincoln mailing list
Hey Robert -

Though on an annual basis your solar installation produces more electricity than you consume, you undoubtedly still receive electricity from Eversource to keep your household powered at night, on cloudy days or when your panels are covered in snow. The Green Energy Choice program works to make sure that power you still need to purchase is renewably generated. Your net metering agreement is not changed by Green Energy Choice - the excess electricity generated by your panels still flows into the grid to renewably power other needs, just as before. Therefore, participation in the Green Energy Choice program is definitely environmentally beneficial, whether or not you have a solar installation.

And - to put in a plug! - if environmental impact is foremost on your mind and the marginal cost increase is not an issue, opting up to the Total Green option of the choice program makes the an even bigger impact on emissions. By leveraging 100% of your power purchases, no matter how small those purchases may be, to insure renewable generation on our local grid.

Thanks for the great question - hope that helped clarify some of the benefits of the program.

Cheers!

CJ Volpone
Member Green Energy Committee

On Monday, January 18, 2021, 09:52:21 PM EST, Robert Domnitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

On an annual basis, my solar installation produces more electricity than I consume.  If I opt out of the Green Energy Choice program and stay with Eversource, my excess electricity will reduce the fossil fuel used by Eversource's other customers.  I'm wondering if one of the experts in town can comment on whether "opting out" is the most environmentally responsible alternative for those of us with solar installations that generate excess electricity.

[LincolnTalk] For residents with PV solar installations, does the Green Energy Choice program make environmental sense?

Robert Domnitz
CJ, thanks for your reply, but I'm still uncertain about how to analyze the options.  .

If I opt out of Green Energy Choice:   Although fossil fuel is used to power my house when it's dark,  during the daytime my excess production is reducing, by a greater amount, the fossil fuel burned for other Eversource customers.  On a yearly basis, this should average out as a net reduction of fossil fuel needed to generate electricity for Eversource customers.

If I opt in to Green Energy Choice at 100% renewable energy:  I consume no fossil fuel and my excess production increases the supply of renewable energy to the grid, but does not reduce Eversource's use of fossil fuel.

Am I missing something here?  Your further thoughts will be appreciated.

Re: [LincolnTalk] For residents with PV solar installations, does the Green Energy Choice program make environmental sense?

samattes
CJ, et al-

Yes,
We have the same questions and all previous answers left me scratching my head.
It is not my field, so a direct response to the question/statements Bob has posed would be appreciated.

Are  his assumptions and statements accurate?
Can it be a “yes” of “no” response?

Thanks, in advance-
Sara