[LincolnTalk] First Parish in Lincoln -- October Programming

[LincolnTalk] First Parish in Lincoln -- October Programming

Sarah Klockowski
Lectio Divina
This is an ancient spiritual practice, exploring the Bible using meditation and silence as well as reason. Facilitated by Rev. Jenny, this group will begin weekly meetings on Wednesday, Oct. 2 from 1-2pm in the Styron Room at 14 Bedford Rd. Email [hidden email] to sign up.

Meditation
We meet the first Monday (7-8:30pm) of each month and every Tuesday (4-5:30pm) in the Stearns room at 4 Bedford Rd. We welcome everyone, those experienced in meditation and those new to the practice. People come from the First Parish, from Lincoln, and from surrounding towns.

Our sittings include silent or guided meditation (on chairs and the occasional cushion), walking meditation, reading together, mindful discussion, and metta practice (prayers for others).  We follow the tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh, who encourages us to combine our meditation practice and our community (called a Sangha in Buddhist terms) with our root faiths. We hope you can join us.

Transcendentalist Walking Tour
Thursday, October 17, 2019, 10am-2pm
Join Jenny Rankin for a private guided tour of the Emerson house and a short walking tour of Transcendentalist sites in Concord. We’ll meet at the North Bridge Visitor Center and walk to the Emerson House just outside of “downtown” Concord, stopping briefly at sights along the way like the Old Manse and the Wright Tavern. We’ll have a private guided tour of the Emerson House at 11 am, then walk on the Emerson-Thoreau Amble for a brief stretch, return to the town center and make our way to Sleepy Hollow Cemetery to Author’s Ridge. If time allows, we’ll adjourn to Colonial Inn for refreshments and more conversation. Jenny has been teaching and leading walks on Transcendentalism for many years and enjoys inviting others into this “new world!”

Starting and ending location: North Bridge Visitor Center, 174 Liberty Street, Concord, MA 01742. Total mileage: about 4.5 miles. If you do not want to walk the whole way, you can join us ONLY for the Emerson House tour at 11 am; please let Sarah know when you register.

To register, please contact Sarah Klockowski at [hidden email]. Registration is required; the Emerson House needs to have an exact count.
Cost: The walk is free, but there is an entrance fee for the Emerson House ($7.00 per person; cash accepted on day of walking tour). Refreshments at the Colonial Inn will be self-funded.
Thursday, October 17, 10 am to 2 pm. Rain or shine! Meeting location: North Bridge Visitor Center parking lot, 174 Liberty Street, Concord, MA 01742.

Forest Bathing
Saturday, October 19, 2019, 1-4pm
Awaken your senses with us on Saturday, October 19th, from 1 - 4 PM on a Forest Bathing walk with a certified forest therapy guide. We will immerse ourselves in the scent of the trees and mosses, see the delicate structure of plant life, feel the air and sunlight on our faces and hear sounds that we can so easily overlook when hiking.  Forest Bathing is unlike any nature walk you have experienced before.  Practiced in Japan where it is known as Shinrin-Yoku, Forest Bathing is known as a research-based way of supporting health, happiness and well-being.
We will meet at the Stearns Room at 4 Bedford Road for a brief introduction at 1 PM.  The distance of the walk will be two miles round trip, and our pace will be leisurely, so all ages are welcome.  Our leader, Nadine, will supply camp chairs, and will have face nets and insect repellent available, if needed.  Most people enjoy the full three-hour program, but participants are free to leave earlier if they wish.

A minimum of 6 participants is required and we are limiting this activity to 25 people.  We are suggesting a donation of $10 for adults and $5 for children, families $25.  Please email: [hidden email] to register.

Course Offering: Hands on History Seminar
Join Jenny Rankin for an “archeological dig” into the beginnings of the First Parish in Lincoln.  We’ll gather in the Stearns Room at 4 Bedford Road for an introduction, then walk over to the Lincoln Library to visit with the archivist and see some original documents related to the church’s founding.

Thurs Oct 3, 12-1:30pm
Founding of First Parish in Lincoln (1747/48), includes visit to Lincoln Library archives
Thurs Oct 24, 12:1:30pm
Founding of Unitarian Church (1842), includes visit to Lincoln Library archives
Thurs Oct 31, 12-1:30pm
Merger of Congregational and Unitarian churches (1942)

Registration Required. Email [hidden email] to register.

Course Offering: Transcendentalism
Transcendentalism: What? Who? When?  Ralph Waldo Emerson is known as the prime mover of American Transcendentalism and Henry David Thoreau as another stalwart member of the tribe.  But what was Transcendentalism, anyhow? Where did it come from? How far did it reach beyond Concord?  What was its impact, in its own time and ours?  How did Emerson and Thoreau differ, and who were the other Transcendentalists? All these issues and more will be the focus of a miniseries of two discussions led by Larry Buell, author of several books on the Transcendentalists and editor of a widely-taught collection, American Transcendentalists: Essential Writings (Modern Library, 2006).  Discussions will take place in the Donaldson Room at 14 Bedford Road on the successive Mondays of October 28 and November 4 at 7:30 pm and, for groups of four or more, will be repeated in the Stearns Room at 4 Bedford Road Thursdays October 31 and November 7 at 11 am.  No reading is expected except for the short passages that will be distributed at each meeting.  The sessions are open to anyone who is interested, with no previous knowledge expected.  Nor is attendance at the first discussion a requirement for the second.

Email [hidden email] to register.