[LincolnTalk] FW: old timer

Nancy Bergen

From: Nancy Bergen <[hidden email]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2018 10:31 AM
To: 'Lincoln Talk' <[hidden email]>
Subject: old timer

I   have been reluctant to write about my thoughts on the new school building and how worried I am that the values that I have admired about Lincoln have changed.

My husband and I both grew up in Lincoln and are now both 71 so we are really old timers here. We are both very concerned about what Lincoln is becoming and hope that people understand how our parents and many others in that generation were involved and committed to making Lincoln become what it is today. Many people donated land to conservation or took less than market value for their property so Lincoln would remain open and rural. Some of us could be living high off the hog if our parents had just sold their property outright but we were taught to value the town also. That generation knew that in putting land into conservation that property values would go up and it would threaten Lincoln’s economic diversity. Much time and effort were spent in trying to keep Lincoln a diverse town.

I think of all that so many families gave up to keep Lincoln as it is today. It was not just value of their property but also in time because so many of them were totally committed to the town and those who lived here. I remember how many nights a week my parents went out to attend meetings about the town. It was not just the schools or just the library or just the infrastructure it was the town and how it would affect all the people in it. Town meeting was a place to hash out ideas and differences and to hear people and understand what the issues involved. I have been disturbed by talk of town meeting being a waste of time, an inconvenience or outdated. I remember going to town meeting at Bemis hall ,then the town hall, and sitting up in the balcony and learning about the issues as a very young child.

 Some change is inevitable over time in any town. I hope that here, when we make a change, we think about the history and those who worked so hard to make Lincoln what it is today. We can learn a lot from that.

Thanks for reading an old timer’s thoughts.

Nan Bergen

Re: [LincolnTalk] FW: old timer

skindleberger
Well said Nan!