[LincolnTalk] Commuter Rail Stop Shelter / Who Can Make It Happen?

[LincolnTalk] Commuter Rail Stop Shelter / Who Can Make It Happen?

Lincoln mailing list
Hi there,

New resident to town.  Or sort of new.  I've been here a year.

This morning especially, as it's cold and raining pretty hard, I feel the lack of basic shelter on the outbound platform. I'll be out there in an hour or two, and even if the train isn't late, it's going to be pretty miserable.  If the train is late, I'll be drenched.

I'm not looking for something heated.  A simple three walls and a roof would get the job done just fine.  2 or 3 thousand dollars very well spent.

My question is: does anyone know who has jurisdiction or responsibility for the station?  Is it the town of Lincoln, the MBTA, or some other entity?  Can anyone direct me to a person or organization that will actually hear me about this?  If it is the MBTA (as I suspect) how do I get the town of Lincoln to advocate for this, so it's not just some random guy complaining?

Thank you.

Re: [LincolnTalk] Commuter Rail Stop Shelter / Who Can Make It Happen?

Bob Kupperstein
Hi Adam,

This sidesteps your question, but you can use the MBTA commuter rail tracker app so you'll know where/when the train is - and you can stay in a sheltered place until the train approaches.

-Bob

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 9:15 AM Adam Stark via Lincoln <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Kristine Barker
Hi Adam,

I can’t answer your question, but the other side of the plaza has an overhang and I often stood there in inclement weather and walked over when I heard the train arrive. There’s a bench in front of the dentist’s office you can use before they open for the day (assuming you take an early train). I agree a waiting area would be lovely, but I doubt adding a small enclosed space during Covid is something that would happen. Hope you stay dry and warm!

Kristine

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 13, 2020, at 9:59 AM, Bob Kupperstein <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Bernadette and Mark
Adam,

From my experience from working (aka before children) in the civil engineering field and working design projects with the MBTA.  You would have to propose this project to the MBTA and many of these projects if on their property or row need a study, etc...

If the shelter is on town land...safe bet is that would be a town decision or talk to the director of the DPW (he is an civil engineer and could direct you)

On private property ...proposal to the business owner.

Hope this helps.
Bernadette Quirk

[...]

I have seen people hanging out in these at MBTA stops.

Amazon.com

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Tuesday, October 13, 2020, 1:09 PM, Bernadette and Mark <[hidden email]> wrote:

Adam,

From my experience from working (aka before children) in the civil engineering field and working design projects with the MBTA.  You would have to propose this project to the MBTA and many of these projects if on their property or row need a study, etc...

[...]

Welcome to Lincoln!

Bernadette is correct, both regarding the private property (in bound stop) and the MBTA out bound stop.
The inbound used to be out the back door of the 3S Pharmacy.
When that closed and the building sold, that backdoor option ended.

When I was on the Board of Selectmen, I served as liaison to the MBTA and sat on the MBTA Advisory Council.
We explored multiple options to consolidate the stops to one side of the road (the current outbound location) and/or creating simple shelters.
The consolidation of stops is complicated by the distance of the stop to the road crossing, or at least that was a factor back in my time (Dinosaur Era).
There was also an issue of the height of the “station” in relation to boarding the train-an access issue.

Regardless of any and all potential solutions, we had been told that the expense of ANY work would fall to the town.
Perhaps that has changed.

I suggest the Planning Board for one-stop-shopping on this matter and I urge you to involve yourself in the ongoing discussion surrounding S. Lincoln and the Mall as that is where a solution might be proposed…again.

Back in the day, even before my time, Lincoln did have a mighty fine train station, and transportation to and fro-click the link for a pic!

Again, welcome to Lincoln…where nothing is simple!

Sara Mattes

On Oct 13, 2020, at 1:07 PM, Bernadette and Mark <[hidden email]> wrote:

Adam,

From my experience from working (aka before children) in the civil engineering field and working design projects with the MBTA.  You would have to propose this project to the MBTA and many of these projects if on their property or row need a study, etc...