[LincolnTalk] Cell phone provider recommendations

[LincolnTalk] Cell phone provider recommendations

melinda bruno-smith
Good morning neighbors,

We are in the process of updating our iphones to 12, and are investigating different providers.  We currently use AT&T (and happy with them by the way) but wondering about your thoughts and experiences using T-Mobile and Verizon in Lincoln.

Thanks much,
Melinda and Ralph Smith

Re: [LincolnTalk] Cell phone provider recommendations

Dennis Liu

Melinda and Ralph, if you’re happy with AT&T, then you may want to stick with them, since the key factor above nearly all else is COVERAGE where you need it.  If AT&T provides coverage to your home in Lincoln, then you’re well situated, congrats!  Verizon may offer similar or even better coverage.  I would be willing to bet T-Mobile does not, but if by chance you live somewhere that T-Mobile works for you, you may be able to save a good chunk of money.

I wrote this to a fellow Lincolnite back in 2017; the information still applies.  FWIW, the Opensignal site has converted from a browser-based map to an app based map, but you can still compare coverage on that via your phone.  See also:  https://www.opensignal.com/reports/2019/01/usa/mobile-network-experience

>You may have seen the long thread from last year discussing this (I’ll forward it regardless).  The URL for the Opensignal site has changed a bit; it’s now https://opensignal.com/networks   Think about it as “Waze” for cell signal strength.  As you can see from the map, Verizon is materially better over most of Lincoln.  A data point that may be pertinent for you is that a good friend just bought a new phone.  He went to the Natick mall to check out carrier options, and spoke with representatives from AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile (he’s currently a Verizon customer).  The T-Mobile representative, after asking him where he lived (in Lincoln near the intersection of Rt 117 and Rt 126), flat out openly told him, “yeah, sorry, but our network won’t work well for you.”  Gotta admit that candor!

Vty,

--Dennis