[LincolnTalk] COMPOSTING IS STARTING TOMORROW AT THE TRANSFER STATION!

[LincolnTalk] COMPOSTING IS STARTING TOMORROW AT THE TRANSFER STATION!

Emily Haslett
COME ONE, COME ALL--

BRING YOUR FOOD WASTE IN A COMPOSTABLE OR PAPER BAG TO THE TRANSFER STATION TO DEPOSIT IN ONE OF THE 64 GALLON BINS MARKED "COMPOST ONLY".

Please follow the guidelines on Black Earth Compost's "YAY NAY" list. Example: NO PLASTIC is permitted.

You can buy 3 gallon or 13 gallon compostable bags at Donelan's.

Tomorrow begins another chapter in Lincoln's step towards a greener future as we work together to reduce the weight we send to the incinerator, saving money for the town and saving the earth at the same time!

Questions: Contact Emily Haslett, [hidden email] or 781 308-3888

What Can I Put in my Compost Bin?
YAY!
Food WasteCOFFEE GROUNDS & FILTERSNONSYNTHETICTEA BAGS (okay to incl. staple)SAN FRANCISCO ONE CUP COFFEE PODS (this pod is BPI certified, most are not so check if certified)

EGGS & EGGSHELLS

MEAT & SEAFOOD (incl. bones, shells, & raw)

FRUITS & VEGGIES (incl. stems, skins, pits, seeds, corn cobs, fruit from trees) (stickers removed)

DAIRYPASTA, GRAINS & BREADCOOKIES, CAKE & CANDY (incl. gum)

NUT & COCONUT SHELLS

COOKING OIL & GREASE (leave jar on bin)

Household Items
COMPOSTABLE TABLEWARE THAT IS BPI CERTIFIED incl. plates, cups, utensils, straws, etc.

WHITE UNCOATED PAPER PLATES

HOUSE PLANTS & FLOWERS

LEAVES & GARDEN WASTE (no grass or sticks over 2” dia.) (buy stickers for yard waste bag collection)

WOOD (toothpicks, popsicle sticks, chopsticks, sawdust, small wood fruit containers)

GRILL & FIREPLACE ASH (tie bag)

COTTON SWABS & BALLS (no nail polish)

WINE CORKS (cork, not plastic!)

PET FOOD

PET WASTE FROM RABBIT, CHICKEN, GUINEA PIG, HAMSTER & BIRD (incl. bedding) (no dog or cat)

HAIR, FUR, FEATHERS (human & animal)

Food Soiled Paper & Cardboard Only: Please continue to recycle paper in the facilities provided

NAPKINS & PAPER TOWELS (incl. bleached) (used on food or w/ organic certified household cleaner)

PIZZA BOX insert

NAY!

PackagingABSOLUTELY NO PLASTIC: cups, containers, food & candy wrap, chip bags, shopping bags, garbage bags, produce bags, plastic wrap, cellophane etc.

ABSOLUTELY NO CARTONS: milk, juice,ice cream,shelf-stable cream, broth & soup containers (they have hidden plastic & foil components)

NO PRODUCE STICKERS, RUBBER BANDS, TIES & ALL PACKAGING FROM PRODUCE & MEAT

NO MEAL BOX INSULATION

NO TAKE OUT CONTAINERS & CUPS (most are not compostable, check at point of purchase or label)Household Items

NO USED COMPOSTABLE DIAPERS (sorry!)

NO SANITARY PRODUCTSNO BODILY FLUID (blood, mucus, snot)

NO DOG or CAT WASTE (incl. cat litter)

NO DEAD ANIMALS

NO GRASS CLIPPINGS (subscribe to an approved organic yard care partner and we can take it!)

NO LAUNDRY LINT & DRYER SHEETS

NO TEXTILES (see our textile recycling program)

NO DENTAL FLOSS

Paper
NO SHREDDED PAPER, ENVELOPES, SHINY PAPER, MAIL & MAGAZINES

NO PLASTIC or WAXED CARDBOARD

NO CHEMICALLY-SOILED PAPER (baby & disinfectant wipes, paper used w/ chemical cleaners, house paint, machine oil, etc.)

NO WAX PAPER (often contains plastic or paraffin)

Planning to purchase compostable items?Make sure compostable single use items are BPI Certified. Look for the BPI logo. If it says100% recycled or biodegradable it is not compostable. We accept items made with 100% Polylactide (PLA) but make sure they are also BPIcertified as it might say PLA but may not be 100%.

Thank you, and see you at the transfer station soon!!

Re: [LincolnTalk] COMPOSTING IS STARTING TOMORROW AT THE TRANSFER STATION!

Christine Damon
I am so, so happy Lincoln got this up and running. Well done! (and thank you) to the team of people who have worked on this.  We have been composting for a few months at Battle Road Farm and it has been working well.

I like to think that being conscious of my food waste also makes me more conscious of my relationship to food all together and more careful about making good use of what I grow and purchase.

We can make a difference!

Chris Damon