[LincolnTalk] Book Bin Update... thank you AGAIN Lincoln!

[LincolnTalk] Book Bin Update... thank you AGAIN Lincoln!

Cathy Moritz
Dear Lincoln residents --

For the 4th time since they were installed June 1st, your generous
donations of used books at the Lincoln Mall and Tracey's Service Station
have filled the bins!  Thank you very much!

There is room to squeeze a few more books, but if you plan to donate a
substantial number, please wait after until the bins are emptied early
next week.

Your donations support programming costs and other needs of our
wonderful Lincoln Library.  Revenue from online sales will not cover the
lost revenue from our suspended in-person monthly book sales -- so your
book and monetary donations are very welcome.

With many thanks,

The Friends of the Lincoln Library

Re: [LincolnTalk] Book Bin Update... thank you AGAIN Lincoln!

Michael
I originally (mis)understood that the FOLL would be setting up an on-line
service to sell donated books but now realize the (possible) impracticality
of FOLL’s organizing and managing an on-line venue. Now- imagining that
there is a contractual agreement with an outside vendor - are the in-person
monthly sales effectively part of the past? Is there any plan or thinking
behind their return? Stopping by Bemis on the return trip from the transfer
station became a family tradition and we still enjoy many a book purchased
there.

Also – the indiscriminate donation of book material into a bin does not seem
to be the best way to maximize sales for books specific and unique to
Lincoln – historical material, collections put together by families in
Lincoln and books by local authors. Examples on our shelves from past sales
include: Richard Wiggins, ‘Embattled Farmers, Campaigns and Profiles of
Revolutionary Soldiers from Lincoln MA’, ‘Selected Papers by the Surgical
Staff of the Massachusetts General Hospital’ presented to former Lincoln
resident Benjamin Barnes in 1952 and EO Wilson’s, ‘Half-Earth, Our Planet’s
Fight for Life.’

I would hope for some discrimination in what gets donated when to better
benefit the FOLL – either when book sales return or the library reopens.

-Michael

--
Sent from: http://lincoln.2330058.n4.nabble.com/