[LincolnTalk] Are we "diverse" or are we *diverse*? (was: shouts of "Vote Trump")

[LincolnTalk] Are we "diverse" or are we *diverse*? (was: shouts of "Vote Trump")

Andrew Payne
Following up on the thread about my "Vote Trump" comment outside the polls Monday, Sharon A wrote:

I’m so glad that you owned this. I’m glad because I know coming from you it was not meant to be Offensive. And I’m glad because we are not left wondering what the shouter was all about.

Thank you!  As my wife Kellie has repeatedly said, "your humor only works with people that know you" (along with "you're not as funny as you think you are").  I also received a few private, extremely critical emails (thank you).  Again, I apologize if I caused any offense.

But I now wonder:  when/where/how did the mere mention of our unambiguously elected President's name become offensive?  He's not Lord Voldemort ("he who cannot be named") and he was obviously not on the ballot.

[Before anyone reacts:  I think he's a terrible President and human being.  He sold the country as if he were selling a sleazy NYC condo deal, and it's clear he and his family have a very flexible relationship with decency, ethics, and the law.  He's stupid, he's an egomaniac, he surrounds himself with equally awful people, and his current "policy" is "whatever got the loudest cheer at my last rally".  I'm deeply appreciative of those reasonable people giving up reputation and career in an attempt to contain the crazy (read:  "Fear" by Bob Woodward).   I reserve further judgment until we hear from Meuller, and I'm hopeful (barely) that he'll inadvertently leave some positive legacies by veering outside the box (the blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut).  I have strong criticisms of Obama, but I feel at least he was relatively smart, stable, and decent.]

Around 2004, I was starting a meeting with a software developer who arrived exhausted (think: 4hr SBC meeting hangover X10).  He explained:  he had "day tripped" his family with school-age kids MA to DC to pay respects to Reagan, lying in state.  They took the kids out of school, waited in line at the Capitol for 3 hrs, and then turned around to come straight home.  Why?  He emigrated from Russia and felt like he literally owed his life to Reagan for the collapse of the Soviet Union and his freedom to leave.  Replace "Reagan" with "Trump"...how could I possibly judge someone like that?

Bringing things home:  I heard of intense & visible discomfort shown by some that stood for the "no" vote on Saturday.  That's not right.  I don't think we can (or should) presume to know the basis for anyone's position, and we can't presume to hold the "one true viewpoint".  When I meet someone with a view I strongly oppose, I try:  "why do you support ______________?" and then I try to listen without first passing judgment.  I always learn something.

Finally:  weird, eccentric, odd, edgy & self-deprecating humor and commentary have long been tolerated (or encouraged!) in our little town.  If you disagree, consider 4th of July parades going back a few decades or Norm Hapgood at town meeting.  I fully realize a polling entrance is different than the stone wall at the end of Tower Road, and this is not an excuse for obnoxious behavior.  But when did we start taking ourselves so SO seriously all the time?   When did "instant umbrage" become a norm?

If we honestly & truly value diversity, a callout for our sitting president (or <gasp> a yard sign) should not be cause for a townwide alert.

<rant off>

One _______ supporter's view,

-andy

Re: [LincolnTalk] Are we "diverse" or are we *diverse*? (was: shouts of "Vote Trump")

John F. Carr
Lincoln is highly diverse politically.  We got both kinds here -- we
got liberal and progressive.

(For those who don't share _my_ sense of humor, it's a reference to
this classic movie scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSZfUnCK5qk)

On 12/5/18, Andrew Payne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> commentary have long been tolerated (or encouraged!) in our little town.
> If you disagree, consider 4th of July parades going back a few decades or
> Norm Hapgood at town meeting.  I fully realize a polling entrance is
> different than the stone wall at the end of Tower Road, and this is not an
> excuse for obnoxious behavior.  But when did we start taking ourselves so
> SO seriously *all the time*?   When did "instant umbrage" become a norm?
>
> If we honestly & truly value diversity, a callout for our sitting president
> (or *<gasp>* a yard sign) should not be cause for a townwide alert.
>
> *<rant off>*
>
> One _______ supporter's view,
>
> -andy
> https://payne.org/lt-disclaimer/

Re: [LincolnTalk] Are we "diverse" or are we *diverse*? (was: shouts of "Vote Trump")

Kathryn Anagnostakis
Andy, my husband feels your pain, he’s far less funny than he thinks he is.

I do think people are tripping all over themselves in the race to see who’s the most aggrieved or offended. There is clearly genuine rudeness but a lot of the outrage stems from people immediately believing the worst possible interpretation of whatever statement or action confronts them.

Remember Obama with his feet on the desk or Michelle wearing a sleeveless dress?  Outrageous!

Re: [LincolnTalk] Are we "diverse" or are we *diverse*? (was: shouts of "Vote Trump")

Bob Antia
On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 7:11 PM Kathryn Anagnostakis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Andy, my husband feels your pain, he’s far less funny than he thinks he is.

This issue is quite common, in fact Sharon will happy tell you that I have this issue.

There is an ongoing debate as to its cause, genetic or a learned behaviour.

-B